Chapter Two

REWRITTEN/EDITED 1/3/23 - Please enjoy the revised chapter two!  - K x

Chapter Two

He moved back, dropping my hand and moving back to the counter.

"How about a nice cup of Joe first before I spill my secrets, yeah?" He said, jumping over the counter, and flashing me a grin. My heart thudded in the confinements of my chest. I looked down at my shaking hands. My eyes flashed towards the knife laying calmly in the dirty washing up across the way before glancing up at the stranger who was turned towards the coffee machine. I took a deep breath before moving closer.

Shouts were heard from outside, lights flashed down the road and the scurry of footsteps was heard against the pavement. Snow was now sticking the to pavement outside, slurries falling in fat lumps. I wince at the thought of my trek home on foot.

"Those men, why were they chasing you?" I asked, standing at a halt on the other side of the counter. If needed, I calculated the space I would need to turn and run out of the coffee shop. Roughly fifty steps, maybe less if my fight or flight kicked in early.

The stranger didn't even glance my away before answering.

"Just like you, sweet pea, they are accusing me of partaking in the terrible act of theft." He then turned to me, "Do you have any sugar?"

The innocent glance he gave me was enough for every girl to fawn over him. I felt my knees weaken slightly. Taking a deep breath, I strode around the counter and pushed in front of him. Reaching up into the cupboard, I huffed as my fingertips brushed the edge of the bottle. I felt him reach up behind me and swiftly grasp the bottle. I turn back to him in annoyance to see him smiling down at his feet.

"I could've reached it," I whispered, closing the cupboard door.

"I'm sure you could," he muttered. "Thank you."

I watched him make himself a caramel coffee while I sat on the worktop, legs swinging in front of me. I felt something in my chest tug and the sight of him making my favourite drink.

His movements were graceful, from carefully pouring milk into the coffee to stirring gently. He was a strange man. He wore a dark suit, and with every movement of his arm, I could see the flash of a gun safety nestled against the side of his hip. I bit the inside of my cheeks and gulped.

"Were they wrong to accuse you of such things?" I found myself asking, noting how stirred the caramel into the milk carefully, just like it should stop it from burning. Curiosity getting the best of me, I leaned slightly over his shoulder and glanced down at his beverage.

He turned towards me, whipped cream in hand.

"Have you ever heard the saying: 'Curiosity killed the cat'?"

I shrugged. Everyone had heard that saying, but they also say that cats had nine lives, and any man who could make a caramel latte as well as my mother whilst running away from two men at close to eleven pm at night had caught that curiosity by the throat. I felt like I needed to know more just to simply breathe.

His lips twitched into a smirk before he swiped a dot of whipped cream onto my nose. I wiped at my nose using the back of my hand.

Looking into my eyes, he said, "Well, sweet pea, they're right in their assumption. Just reckless in their execution of justice."

I held his gaze. The green in his eyes was deepened in the candlelight, they were enticing. They were the kind of eyes you could easily get lost in.

"For you," He spoke, never breaking my gaze. I felt the mug be pressed into my palm. The heat was welcomed by the steaming cup of coffee. I brought it closer to my body. "Let's make a deal. You forget all about this evening, about me. About what I've told you, and you go on living your perfect little life drinking caramel lattes and studying nursing. Got it?"

I pursed my lips, frowning. "How did you know that I...?"

"Your used mug over there had caramel sauce left on the side, and your textbook was open. Doesn't take a genius, love." Straightening his suit, he gave me a small smile.

I lifted the mug to take a drink, confused. Taking a small sip, I nodded at the delicious twang of cinnamon and the smooth caramel caffeine. He watched me take a sip of the creamy concoction, eyes lingering as I licked the cream off the corner of my lips. "If you would be so kind to lead me to your back door, I'm afraid I've overstayed my welcome."

As I was unclicking the door bolt, I heard him mutter a small curse. Swinging the door open, he moved to exit before turning and placing a chaste kiss on the corner of my mouth. I gasped, not used to the sudden affection.

"Caius." He spoke. I looked up at him, watching my lips; his eyes snapped up to mine.

"What?" I muttered, slightly confused by his random outburst.

"My name, it's Caius."

"Clara," I mutter in return, warmth spreading across my cheeks.

"It's been a pleasure, Clara." He nods his head, tilting a raised hand towards me in acknowledgement. "Now for god's sake, don't go opening any more doors to strangers late at night."

The radio hummed out a melody in the background as he slipped out of the back door and back into the snowy darkness.

Lifting the deadbolt into place, I locked the door firmly before turning back to the darkening café. The candles had nearly all burned out now, the final few flickers of light emanating around the room. I sighed, before eyeing the delicious caramel coffee still steaming on the counter, wondering if I would ever see him, Caius, ever again.