45| Look At Me Now

*Dallas's POV*

Demi being in rehab for 2 weeks was incredibly hard but saying goodbye to her was even harder.

The second she told me "I admitted myself back into rehab" I felt like I was hit by a truck. When I asked for what, she told me "I want to be the girl he thought he could never have, and I want to be the girl I never thought I'd achieve" and when I asked her what she meant, she told me with a blank face "The girl that loves herself just the way she is" 

I felt confused.

Okay, so maybe confusion is the understatement, but I thought she was in a good place now. She was doing good with Greyson and she was extremely happy with Nick.. I couldn't help but try and rack my brain for what went wrong.

"What is there not to love? Look how far you've come Demi. You've achieved so much. You got an amazing boyfriend, the perfect little boy, a career and a house. A cute little dog, what's left?"

"I don't have me"

All I could do was hug her. I felt myself start to cry as I held on to her.

"I want you happy Demi" I whispered, pulling away.

"I'm happy. I'm just not where I should be" She gave me a sheepish smile.

"And where is that?"

"I want to look his little girl in the eyes and know I'd do everything in my power to protect her, and if I'm being honest, I think I already am"

"Oh?"

"I'm protecting her from me."

I stared at her.

"Huh?"

"I can't love her the way she deserves. If I want a family with Nick, If I want more kids.. I need to be able to look that little girl in the eyes and know that no matter what, I'd protect her. That she was loved.. and I can't do that Dallas. I can't look her in the eyes and know, no matter what, she'll be okay. I'm not okay, and if I want to be there for her and be with Nick.. I need to be okay"

When I got the calls from Nick, hearing the concern and frantic state he was in over the voicemails, I was dreading calling back. I didn't know why Demi put herself in rehab again. Sure, getting better for him was part of it, but I had a feeling that wasn't the whole part.

We took it day by day. I kept Nick in the loop and Devin helped me out with Buddy and Greyson. We were all trying. 

But after two long, hard weeks. Today was the day Demi was coming home. I was excited to not only see, but learn about the progress she had made, and to watch how much she had grown. The last time she went into treatment like this, was when Greyson was a baby. 

I was nervous to know it was only for 2 weeks, when the last time had been a month, but I knew I needed to trust her in that she knows what was and is good for her.

I had woken up that morning to Devin kissing my cheek, myself smiling with my eyes closed.

"Morning" I mummered, opening my eyes.

"Morning beautiful. I'm going to head out to the gym for about an hour, and then I'll come home and help you get ready" He kissed me again before I watched him walk out of the room.

I sighed, not wanting to get up.

I needed to get the boys ready to see their momma.

I got out of bed and wandered down to the crate Buddy had been sleeping in.

He was laying in a weird position on his dog bed, making me laugh. I took a photo and sent it to Demi before opening his crate.

"Morning sleepy head" I giggled, Buddy perking up.