(Above - Rumplestiltskin) Chapter Seven

This chapter is dedicated to Kay Winters; She has written a few children's books, and my grandmother knows her well. You go, Kay!

Mollie...
8 years ago...
Mollie walked heavily into the kitchen. She was due to have her second baby in a week, and she was exasperated with everything and everyone. If it was a boy, his name would be Luke, and if it was a girl, Julie. Seven year old Ethan greeted her by shoving a huge wad of green gum into his mouth, then saying, "Hey mama! What's up?" He reached into the cookie jar and pushed a cookie into his mouth along with the gum, chewing them together happily. "Ew," Mollie said, covering her mouth as if it were she chewing the disgusting combination instead of Ethan. "That's disgusting," she shook her head and sat down on one of the chairs at the table. Ethan came over and sat on her lap, but there wasn't much room, so he stood up and bent down so his face was inches from her stomach. "Hey, kid! Butt out, you're in the way!" Mollie whapped his forehead playfully with a nearby oven mitt. He laughed and grabbed another cookie and a baseball hat, then went out to the front yard to play. Mollie rolled her eyes, but there was a smile on her face. Gabriel walked in and kissed her forehead. "Hey sweetie," he said, smiling. "Gotta go to work," he adjusted his tie. "I have a meeting today, how do I look?" Mollie stood up, leaning on the table for support. "Very handsome," she grinned and walked slowly to the fridge. When she got there, she pulled out a jumbo tub of icecream and opened the lid. "Ooh, chocolate!" She said happily as she dug a spoon into it and shoved a huge bite into her mouth. Ethan walked back in. His whole body was covered in mud, from head to toe. "Mom, I accidentally walked through a mud puddle, then I accidentally fell over and played in it for five minutes." He cringed, knowing that his fib was bad. Mollie pressed her fingers to her temples. "Just... Don't track it through the house," she said along with a sigh. Ethan nodded, happy that he got off the hook, then tracked the mud all the way up the stairs and through his room. Mollie walked back to her chair and put her face down on the table. "Have fun with that, hon." Gabriel said, chuckling and walking out the door. "Love you!" He called. "Love you too!" Mollie replied. He left the door open, letting in the nagging bugs and muggy Summer air. Ethan came back down the stairs, still muddy. "Mom, I can't find my Superman underwear. Is it in the wash?" Mollie looked at him. His shirt was gone in the wash already, revealing his extreme sunburn, and his pants were unbuttoned. "You're so weird," she chuckled, going to the basket of clean laundry for his underwear.

💠💠💠

Ethan...
Present Day...
I woke up at 11:00a.m. My hair was a mess and I was miserable and still not fully believing Sadie was dead. Mom walked into my room with a bottle of water. "Hey honey," she said. "Hi," I said quietly, sitting up and rubbing my face with both hands. "Want this?" She asked, offering the water bottle. She still seemed sad. I nodded. She set it on the bedside table. "Thanks," she nodded and left. I got out of bed and grabbed my sweatshirt and the water bottle. I looked at the calendar and saw that it was soon to be Christmas. I yawned and walked out the door without bothering to brush my hair or get dressed. I'd just used some mouthwash, which I had spit into the trash can before I left. I walked down the hall and turned the corner, then went out to the fire escape. I was looking for alone time, but I saw that the window was already open a crack. I pushed it open more and climbed out. Harper was sitting there, the wind pushing through her wheat blonde hair and salty tears making paths down her cheeks. She was looking out to the slippery road, and just glanced my way when I climbed out. She didn't say anything, just looked back out to the road and shoved the heel of her hand across her face, wiping the tears away. "Hey," I said, setting the water bottle between us and sitting down. The second I sat down, she put her forehead on my shoulder and started to sob. I jumped, but then put my arm around her and rubbed her back. She was wearing the bright green coat she had on the day I met her. She sat up and looked at me. Her eyes were glassy with tears that were yet to be shed.