Chapter Two

When I wake, I'm all too aware of the chakra that sits beside me with a hand resting on my wings, almost stroking it. I shiver at the sensation. My wings are very sensative, and I've never had someone touch them before. It almost makes me nervous. The hand stops its small, circular motions as I open my eyes. I face the wall, completely unmasked, lying on my stomach. I can't decide whether to be angry or grateful for the bed beneath me. I choose neither, and kill my confusion. True shinobi are emotionless. We are all tools. 

A groan escapes my lips as I push myself upright. I'm ready for a fight, but all I want is peace. I want to rest today and allow my wings some time to heal before I store them away. I'm glad that my wings heal quickly, but the process is uncomfortable and best done whilst asleep. Unfortunately, I'm awake and cranky. I sit upright and close my eyes for a few moments before opening them slowly. Whoever had sat beside me earlier has vanished, leaving only the wafting scent of something similar to fresh air and earth behind, and a crease in the sheets beside me. I stare at it for a few moments before reaching for my jacket. 

I then realize that this room is not my own, and that my wings have been carefully bandaged. My temples pound out a rhythm that matches pace with my heart, sending waves of dizziness through my head. I hold my head in my hands and attempt to soothe the headache by rubbing my temples. It doesn't work. 

After a few moments, I decide that it's best for me to leave this stranger's room and make it to my own. I hardly make it to the door before I have to sit down. My head feels like a top, spinning dangerously. Another groan escapes me. I stand slower and move lethargically, keeping one hand glued to the wall as I find a hallway I can recognize and navigate from there. 

I'm almost in my room when I know that if I don't stop moving, I'll pass out. I slump against the wall and face the ceiling, breathing shallowly and trying to calm my racing heart. I need water, but I won't make it to the kitchen... My thoughts become fuzzy for a moment as I slide down the wall and breathe deeply. I really need water. How much blood did I lose? When did I last drink? How long as I asleep? 

My thoughts screech to a halt as Itachi stands over me. "So you made it this far?" He muses, "But you can't get yourself to get into the room, huh?" I want to glare at him, but I can't. My face is stuck without an expression. I've never been able to show emotions well. 

"I just needed to rest for a moment." I say softly. "I was planning on moving as soon as the world stopped spinning." Itachi's face softens somehow. It's as emotionless as always, but something about it seems kinder. His gaze is slightly less intense and his posture is less rigid.  He sits in the doorway with me and sighs. 

"Why did you do it?" He asks after a few minutes. For a moment, I frown and wonder what he means. Then it hits me. I chuckle softly and drop my gaze from the roof to the floor and find great interest in my shoes. 

"When you were looking for me and Haru ran up, you gave me time to say goodbye to him." I snap my gaze up and look him directly in the eye, hoping my gratitude crosses the distance between us. "I can't thank you enough for that. This was my way of trying to give back what I owe." Itachi remains silent and I drop my gaze again. I'm not being submissive, I just don't find eye contact necessary. 

"What I did was not worth endangering your life." He says finally, his gaze drilling holes into me. I smile. 

"Maybe not to you." I respond. My head is spinning again and I'm losing focus on the conversation. I need water. I struggle to stand and finally manage to do so after a few minutes of snarling at myself. I lumber toward the kitchen and manage to make it unscathed before I find a water bottle and drink it slowly. My thirst seems unquenchable, but I know that to absorb it properly, I need to drink it slowly. It feels like torture.