Chapter 28

Stardust dashed through one of the secret routes in the dark forest. My heels jerked on the mount constantly but it wasn't long before I heard the sounds of feet stomping over leaves and saw flashing movements flitting through the trees.

My adrenaline-induced heart pumped faster as my eyes spotted several vampires appearing from behind. They moved unobtrusively like shadows and swiftly like panthers. I kept a firm grip on Anastasia and the reins while my other hand quickly unclasped the holster to pull out the loaded pistol.

Turning myself slightly on the sprinting horse, I fired a few bullets in my attempt to stop those glowing red eyes that were following us, but my bullets missed the targets completely. I gritted my teeth in frustration. It wasn't easy to shoot one of the fastest predators on earth. I realized I must not waste the ammunition because of my headless panic.

Digging my heels into the horse's flanks, I steered Stardust off the track and urged her to go faster into another path. Up ahead was a snow-filled meadow with nothing but frozen grass. Suddenly one of them spurted to my right side like a ghost, catching me by surprise. His horrible thirsty eyes glowed like scarlet flames. The vampire kept up with our pace — his feet barely touching the ground. He bared his dagger-shaped fangs.

I did the only thing I could think of. I raised my left leg and swung my right boot backward in a roundhouse kick and crushed the vampire's temple, cracking his facial bones with a force. The vampire fell to the ground. Every hunter had done this trick countless times while training on a pommel horse.

The moving horse swayed to keep my balance as I swiftly righted myself onto Stardust again. It had slowed us down only for a moment, but it was enough for the other fanged pursuers to forge forward in their relentlessly inhuman speed.

Then many more of the black-coated vampires appeared out of the wood in front of us. There was about twenty of them with flashing teeth. I had to skid Stardust to a halt. The ones behind us were also gaining their advancement. I realized the only way to take them down was to plunge into a full combat.

I glanced down at Anastasia, who was growing limp in my arms as the vitality of my blood wore off. The winds blew through her blonde strands like golden sunlight against the snow. Her long black lashes collected tiny flakes over her closed eyelids.

No, I could not let them take her way from me.

As there was no further need to think, I took off my red cape and draped it over Anastasia before I jumped off the horseback. Landing on my feet over the frozen ground, I bent my knees with outstretched arms on either side. The two nearest vampire soldiers fell in an instance — a dagger pierced one of them in the eye as the blade pushed deep into his skull, while the other one was felled in the forehead. Dark viscous liquid trickled down their faces as my throws had delivered death to them.

I turned and watched Stardust galloping off with Anastasia on her back.

Then two vampires more came forward but I shot them down without batting an eye. They collapsed and writhed in agony from the quick-silver bullets.

Suddenly, there was a fresh danger as a platoon of blood-sucking soldiers sallied forward. Some of them were feral-looking. They were hardly human in appearance anymore. These soldiers stood upright but they had long ears, claws and sharp teeth like animals. Their skins were lizard-like. Their eyes held a glint of devilish green menace.

I drew a sharp breath at the sight of them. What on earth were these hideous things? Then I remembered the rumor of the Russian Sleep. Before we captured Anastasia from Ostankino Palace, I thought she had given the order to shut down this cruel experiment. How could this still be happening?