Chapter Six

Chapter Six

It was about two and a half hours into the party at the beach and many of the people were extremely wasted.

The girls were off somewhere with a few boys and I opted to just chill out on my blanket and observe. I resisted the urge to scoff as too many boys, for my liking, eyed me in my leopard print Dolce and Gabbana bikini.

I was relaxing on my blanket and I'd just closed my eyes when I felt someone plop down beside me.

"The hunks not entertaining enough?" I asked, thinking it was one of the girls.

"That's what you call girls in bathing suits these days?" asked a familiar, manlier voice.

I opened my eyes and turned to see Jesse sitting there, a grin on his face. "Hey," I smiled, flipping over onto my stomach and propping myself up on my elbows.

"Hey there," Jesse said leaning over and giving me a kiss.

I smiled at the feel of his lips on mine. "Where've you been?"

"Helping some of the guys with a couple of the kegs."

"Fun."

"You know it! You don't drink beer?"

"Hell no."

He laughed. "Why'd you have to say it like that?"

"Because, it's all disgusting and whatnot. It tastes horrible."

"Okay, so you're stranded on an island and the only think you have to drink is beer. Do you drink, or die?"

"Die," I said without hesitation.

He laughed. "You're pretty serious about that."

"You're darn right."

He gave me a peck on the nose. "You're so cute when you're serious."

I smiled and was about to kiss him back when some guy in purple swimming trunks shouted his name.

"Jesse!" yelled the guy in purple swimming trunks. "Get your ass over here! I need you on my team for volleyball, losers have to go skinnydipping!"

Jesse chuckled, and smiled at me apologetically. "Duty calls," he explained, giving me a kiss.

"If you say so," I said, as he stood up and began to walk away.

"I won't be long!" he shouted.

I smiled to myself as I checked the time. It was almost one a.m. We'd be leaving soon.

I stretched out on my banket and closed my eyes, drinking in the smell and sound of the ocean.

***

I'd accidentally fallen asleep, and when I woke up the beach was pretty much empty. The only people I saw, besides me, was a cute couple out in the water.

I searched around, looking for a familiar face. I gave up, realizing I was alone, and grabbed my flashing phone. I scrolled to my messages seeing a new text from Brooke. It said that Cassidy and Allison were trashed, so she hitched them all a ride. She didn't want to wake me, so she left me there with directions on my windshield and the number for a cab if I needed one.

I sighed to myself - this was just great. But I decided I wouldn't mope around, so I gathered all my things and made my way to the parking lot. I was halfway there when someone shouted my name. I turned around terrified, expecting to see a deranged serial killer, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it was Brad.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Hey," he smiled back, pulling me into a hug.

"Why are you still here?" I asked questioningly.