Chapter 12 ~ Rhett

Rhett awoke to movement around him. He opened one eye to see Taylor spread out against his side. He closed it again and let himself relax.

He layed still and basked in Tae's presence. She was like sunshine. You could feel her warmth just from being near her. He pulled her to him and she snuggled against him willingly.

As he took in her features relaxed with sleep, he recalled the events that had taken place yesterday. She had brought him home to clean his battle wounds from the fight. She'd listened patiently while he told her his story, and then, she'd held him while he broke down.

She had been so strong for him yesterday while he was weak. That was what he loved about her.

Love. This can't be love already, he thought to himself.

After he had cried himself to sleep, Taylor had gotten him up and moved them to the bed. He hadn't slept that soundly in weeks.

Taylor stirred beside him and moaned in her sleep. He looked over at the bedside clock. It was already five-fifty. He was going to be late.

"Crap," he said as he sat up.

Pain shot through his back, and he let out a hiss.

"You're not going in today, cowboy," Taylor said as she pulled him back to her.

She pulled him so that he rolled onto his stomach and he was staring down at her.

"That's not how it works on the ranch, Tae," he said as he looked down into her sleep-filled eyes.

"Oh yes it is when your mama and your woman both say so," she said right back.

"Always so sassy," he said, smiling at her.

She curled up against him and murmured something incoherent. Rhett wrapped an arm around her and laid his head on her chest. He soon fell back asleep.

Rhett woke again later to the smell of bacon. He didn't have to open his eyes to know that Tae wasn't beside him anymore. He could sense her presence like a farmer did rain before a storm.

Rolling over, he groaned. It felt like a hundred tiny knives had been stabbed in his back. He groaned all the way to the kitchen, where Taylor was standing at the stove.

He chuckled at her outfit. She was wearing one of his t-shirts and his boxers as shorts again. He walked to the cabinet and grabbed the ibuprofen bottle.

He went to take three when Taylor handed him a piece of toast.

"Here, you have to have something in your stomach before you take those," she said to him.

He snickered at her tone.

"Yes, mother," he said rolling his eyes.

He was hungry though, and so he scarfed down the toast. She gave him a cup of orange juice to take the medicine.

When his medicine had been taken, he went to sit at the bar. He watched as Tae cooked breakfast. His stomach rumbled and she looked over her shoulder at him.

"You didn't eat lunch yesterday did you?" she asked.

He thought back and shook his head.

"Max and I were too busy to make it to the bunkhouse for lunch. That's where I was headed when I ran into Creek," he explained.

His blood boiled as he thought about their encounter yesterday. He wondered how bad Creek had been hurt.

His focus was changed as Taylor slid fried eggs and hash browns onto his plate.