Chapter 15

Six months Later

Professor Leafblade had decided to pair Krystal and Kai together today, much against Zach's protest. Evelyn had tried to convince otherwise, trying to keep the parabatai together, but their professor wouldn't budge. Kai and Krystal's relationship had spread throughout the school, but the news hadn't left Academy grounds, for months the two had been the talk of the Academy, Kai helping Krystal ignore the looks and gossip that often followed as the two walked in the halls together.

"I think you could work on your archery skills a bit, Highcrest." Krystal shoved some arrows back into a quill and hung it onto the weapons rack, shooting Kai a sarcastic and cocky smile. Kai shook his head, spinning a knife in his hands, "Not all of us are children of the Consul, you know." Pointing a knife at Krystal, he waved it in a circle, "Though, you could use some blade training. So, I guess we're even." Krystal raised her eyebrows and moved to snatch the blade out of his hands. However, Kai had always been faster than Krystal and dodged her movement, stepping out of the way, then grabbed Krystal's arm, turned it around, and turned Krystal's body so her back was against him, "Wanna try that again?" Kai whispered softly into Krystal's ear, making heat rise in Krystal's face. Sighing, Krystal did the movements to escape his hold and faced Kai, "Alright, alright. Point taken." Kai laughed and put the knife in the box of daggers next to the weapons rack.

As the two waited for the rest of the class to finish up, Krystal noticed Jem walking across the grounds with his son Kit who was set to take Jem's place in a few years. Zach and Krystal had come to an agreement that this place would change a lot when Kit took over solely from the few conversations they had with Kit. Krystal looked back at Kai, paying attention to what he was saying again, but then Krystal felt her ears twitch and heard the familiar sound of an arrow flying through the air. Turning, Krystal noted an arrow heading straight for the two, and it was only about twelve feet away...eleven...Something in Krystal began stirring, something cold...and alive that Krystal couldn't name or control as, without thinking, Krystal rose her hands and a wall of ice, slightly taller than Krystal, followed her hands, catching the arrow just before it could hit Krystal's face. The wall of ice crackled in front of Krystal, shimmering in the sunlight, Krystal just stared at it in shock, "Krystal, what did you just do?" Krystal didn't answer, just grabbed Kai's hand, knowing full well that Kit and Jem had seen that, "Kai, we need to go. Now."

The wards around the Academy started going off. This was not good. "Krystal and Kai just booked it into the forest, shouldn't we go after them?" Kit looked at Jem, who was looking after the two students, frightened and running from what Krystal had just done. Jem sighed and turned towards the Academy, "I can almost guarantee somebody else will find them, Kit. Meanwhile, we need to make a call. Come on."

Tessa paced back and forth in Jem's office, Kit casually lounging in one of the leather chairs as Jem called Alec. After a third attempt, Alec finally answered, "Alec, you and Magnus need to get to the Academy now there's been an emergency that needs your attention. Specifically-" Kit held up his arms, "Your daughter went full-on Elsa!" Jem and Tessa stared at their son, then shook their head in unison before Jem continued, "Yes, the wards have already gone off. Get Magnus NOW." Jem hung up and shot a look at Kit who just shrugged, a coy smile on his face.

Krystal ran several feet in front of Kai, then stopped to lean against a tree. "Krystal, tell me what's happening. What was that back there? Why are you so freaked out?" Closing her burning eyes, Krystal let out a sigh, "That, was my faerie power finally surfacing. Which means it's time..." Kai grabbed Krystal's arm, which Krystal didn't bother pulling away, "Time for what? Krystal, you're scaring me." Krystal squatted, as much as she appreciated Kai being here right now, Krystal wished that Zach was here, no doubt Zach could feel the fear that Krystal was feeling right now, Krystal wished that Zach could be here to help her through this, "Long ago, when I was...Given to my dads, an agreement was made that the day my powers surfaced, I would go to the Unseelie Court where my fae ancestry originates." Kai drew in a breath and clenched his fists, "Why would your fathers do that to you, Krystal? They had no right!" Krystal met Kai's eyes which were full of hurt and anger. "Faerie magic if left untamed is incredibly dangerous, I spent my extra hours at the Academy studying what I could about Seelies. But, it doesn't mean I'm not scared, Kai. My entire life I promised myself I wouldn't run when the day came, but now that it has, every instinct in my body is telling me to run far, far away." The burning in Krystal's eyes returned but Krystal shook it off and pushed herself to her feet. The moment Krystal stood, the world seemed to freeze. Staring back at her was her uncle, king of the Unseelie Court, Kieran.