Chapter 7

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

Evelyn groaned and slammed her hand down on the alarm. Krystal stirred in her bed and slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes. "I understand that you wanted to make a game out of who could get ready faster, Eve, but with an alarm clock like that, there's no way." Evelyn jumped out of bed and walked over to Krystal, "Tooooo baaaaad Roomie! 'Cause I'm not giving you a choice!" grabbing her arms, Evelyn yanked her roommate out of her bed and dragged her towards their closet.

"So my first class is Shadowhunter history, which is just down the hall from your class, Eve." In the dining hall, Evelyn and Krystal began going over each other's schedules, Evelyn marking where each of Krystal's classes was on a map of the campus as they ate. "Jem teaches that class. Now, remember, Roomie, call him Professor Carstairs, not Jem or Uncle Jem. Understand?" Sighing, Krystal took a bite of her bacon, "Yes, Eve, I understand. During school hours he's my teacher, not family. I get it." Satisfied, Evelyn nodded and continued working through Krystal's schedule with her.

To say the classroom was big would be an understatement. It was more set up like an auditorium with about ten ascending rows of desks, each had about fifteen desks in them. In all fairness, all first-year students had to take this class, so it made sense it took place in a massive classroom, but still. Already half-full of students, Krystal surveyed the room for ideal seating before deciding to take a seat in the back. As she walked up the rows, she could feel eyes on her, no doubt noting that 'Oh it's the Consul's daughter' or 'Its the daughter of Magnus Bane' or something along those lines, whether her fellow students saw her as a threat or not, Krystal didn't know, or really care.

Each desk had a packet on it which contained a student handbook and a student calendar that covered yearly activities, student events, exam days, and any days off during terms. Jem was already at the front of the classroom, talking to Tessa who looked like she was working a spell and prepping to go off to teach a class of her own. Once she was finished, Tessa said goodbye to Jem and a few students -some Krystal assumed she knew already- and left.

The tardy bell rang and a few students came running in, Jem excused them, letting them off the hook only because it was their first day. Jem waited for everybody to take their seats before taking his place in front of the class. Krystal had been right about Tessa working a spell, as well because even from the back of the room, she could hear Jem as if he was standing right in front of her. Briefly, Jem went over the handbook and calendar, describing notable yearly student events and that if they had any questions ask their assigned upperclassmen.

The rest of the class the students referenced through the Shadowhunter Codex they had been provided by the Academy. Alec and Jace had taught her almost everything Jem was saying already, but regardless, she was still listening and taking notes like a responsible student. Exactly an hour and a half later the bell rang and Jem dismissed the class. Krystal felt a little hurt that he hadn't looked at her once.

Next was Weapons taught by Tracy Leafblade. Krystal had partially been dreading this class because she knew this class was a mix of first and second-year students which meant one thing-Kai could be in this class. After retrieving the weapons that the Academy had sent Krystal based on her combat style, Krystal hurried to the training grounds.

The class was split evenly; half first years, half-second years, though Krystal was right, Kai was in the class. Great.

Professor Leafblade- A tall, dark-skinned middle-aged woman with dark brown curly hair that reached her shoulders walked out to the field with almost cat-like grace as the bell rang. "Alright, students be quiet and listen up!" Leafblade barked at the students as she took her place in front of them, placing her hands on her hips, studying all of them, her eyes lingering on Krystal for a few extra seconds before she continued speaking, "Today I'm going to assess your basic skills. For first years, that means what you already know and second years, that means how, or if you've improved. Right now there isn't a need for your assigned weapons so you can set them down with your things over there and you won't need gear as long as you have full range of motion." waving a hand, she dismissed us to set our things down.