Chapter 10

Recently Krystal hadn't been able to focus. Her mind had been focused on the Parabatai ceremony which was two days away and was announced to the entire school and one of two major topics of gossip in the school. The other Krystal didn't like to think about, if she did, her mind was on it all day: Kai and Stephanie Ashbraid, resident Queen Bee had started dating again. Krystal didn't know why she cared, but she did. Evelyn thinks Krystal had developed a bit of a crush on him, which she kept denying. Krystal hated that boy so much, he was self-absorbed, arrogant, mean, had eyes like an angel, hair black as night, NO. Krystal would not fall for him.

After lunch, Krystal went to her Demon Studies class, she slid into a seat near the back of the room and sighed, pulling the textbook and her notebook out of her backpack. As Krystal unpacked, she felt a student slide into the seat next to her and looked to see who it was out of curiosity, then froze. Kai was sitting next to her.

Hopefully, Kai felt as uncomfortable as Krystal did sitting next to her. Even sitting next to each other, that air of hostility they always had was looming between them. As Krystal was taking her notes, there was the familiar sound of a fire message and Krystal snatched it out of the air. It was from her father.

Snowflake-

A few things to know about the ceremony this weekend (Yes I know it's this weekend, cause I'm an awesome dad like that) make sure you know the vows inside and out like you could say them in your sleep. Practice saying them with Zach. Also, practice drawing the parabatai rune on a piece of paper, it can be a bit tricky, it's one of your first runes, as well, so you're still not fully used to the pain of putting runes on and this rune is permanent. Jem will be enacting the ceremony so you'll be in good hands. I'm very proud of you for doing this and know that I love you and wish I could be there to witness it but warlock duties and all that.

-Papa

As Krystal read the letter, she felt a brush against her shoulder, turning her head, she saw Kai slyly leaning towards her. "Do you mind Kai?" Krystal let the note disappear and he sat back, shrugging, "I bet I could guess what it's about anyway." she shook her head and continued her notes. Kai, in the entire hour they had been in class, hadn't written a single thing down. "Your parabatai ceremony, right?" Krystal shot a glance at him, then focused forward again, "Why do you care. I don't see you having any interest in parabatai. I seem to recall you thought the idea of parabatai was rather dumb." Kai shrugged, "You've been the talk of the school lately. Thought I'd indulge myself a bit, Bane." the school bell rang, indicating the end of class. Krystal shoved her things into her bag, "I'm not the only person who's been the talk of the school, Kai. But I guess you're used to it, aren't you, Highcrest?" As Kai angrily mumbled something, stuffing his things into his bag, I sauntered out of the classroom.

Come the day of the ceremony, Krystal was a bundle of nerves as Zach and Krystal walked towards where it was being held. Dad and Uncle Jace -fellow parabatai- were their witnesses to the ceremony. There was no dress code. Zach wore black jeans, complete with a hole in the left knee, a navy blue shirt sleeve shirt, and black converse shoes. Krystal dawned a similar outfit, except her shirt was white instead of blue. Even their fashion sense was sometimes similar.

Two circles of flame were on the floor waiting for them. Zach Stepped into one, Krystal the other. Staring directly into each other's eyes, they recited the vows, the flames casting shadows over their faces. "Whither thou goest, I will go; Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: The Angel do so to me, and more also, If aught but death part thee and me." The two reached across the flames, which separated for them so they could draw the runes. Krystal and Zach had planned where they each wanted the rune to be drawn, Krystal on her shoulder blade because Zach 'always had her back and Zach on his right forearm.

Papa had portaled to the Academy for the celebratory dinner that apparently the entire school was taking part in. Parabatai I guess were a big thing at the Academy. Krystal asked her Papa to help her get ready to get ready for the celebration and he said he'd waited for this day.

Evelyn and Tessa picked an open-backed knee-length red dress to wear tonight so that was the only thing Papa didn't have a say in. Other than that, he had free reign. Papa spent nearly two hours fussing over her hair and make-up, Zach, who had to enter the dinner with her, silently waiting on the other side of the room reading a book. "What do you think, Zach?" Papa turned Krystal towards her Parabatai and Zach looked up, a gleam in his eye shone for a brief moment, but quickly disappeared, "If I wasn't so into dudes, Krys, I'd try to sweep you off your feet." Krystal laughed, but shook her head at the same head, "Thanks?" Papa portaled to the dinner so Zach and Krystal could enter alone. As parabatai.