↳ 『 CHAPTER TWO 』

CHAPTER TWO: MARKINGS↳ "𝑜𝑓 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑒 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑒𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑛 𝑜𝑟𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑔𝑖𝑛

↳ "𝑜𝑓 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑒 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔
𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑒𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑛 𝑜𝑟𝑑𝑒𝑟
𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑔𝑖𝑛."
____________________________________

« JUNE WITHERS »

I stared at myself in the mirror.

Analyzing every single imperfection, I gripped the bathroom sink. I haven't seen myself properly for 5 years, and my hair has gotten longer — and obviously more tangled.

I grunted and reached up and took my curly hair out of its bun. It didn't fall down like it's expected. Clearly my hair doesn't move freely when it's tangled.

"Fuck this," I whispered and grabbed the brush sitting on the sink. I turned on the water and made sure it was a warm temperature before soaking the brush. I gripped the brush in anticipation and began working my way at the bottom of my afro.

Suddenly the brush got tangled in my hair and I groaned. I forgot how to do my hair properly. It's been years since I could even do my hair. In prison, they let you shower and give you feminine hygiene products but if you have long hair that isn't straight — you're out of luck. Brushes are basically non existent in prison, and you'll be lucky if you even get a comb. Contraband wasn't a foreign thing in prison, but I wasn't allowed to be a part of the rest of the inmates there. So it wasn't easy for me to access it. I had to detangle my hair with my fingers, and that was time consuming.

Prison strips you from your humanity and leaves you in a hallow shell. I don't even know how anything works now, prison was my comfort zone.

"Wash it," a eerie, croaky voice called out behind me. Sally came from behind me and pulled at my hair softly. "Wash," she repeated and gave me a thumbs up.

"It...needs..." she paused to think of the rest of the sentence, "moist."

"Moisture," I corrected her.

She nodded, "you....used to wash before comb," she picked up the brush. "Condition it?" she looked at me for confirmation.

I nodded and patted her head. "You got it, girl."  She whined in content before vanishing.

I sighed and put my hair back into it's bun. Sally and Jack have been there with me since I was 7, I was a late bloomer when it came to getting my quirks. At first they didn't have names, until I named them Jack and Sally from the move The Night Before Christmas. It fit them, and they loved the names.