CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

      Kate hurried through the ICU doors. She walked straight to Sidnee’s room. Mrs. Dawson was sitting with her. “How is she?”

      Mrs. Dawson stood up. “Kate, I am so glad you’re here. I am not sure what happened. The doctor says it’s a good sign but I….” she blew her nose noisily… “…I just don’t know what to believe.” 

      Kate squeezed Mrs. Dawson’s shoulder. I’ll go talk to him. 

      It had been two months and one week since Sid’s surgery. And five weeks since she’d seen Nick. He’d packed his apartment and left. He’d come by to say goodbye, but it had been short and impersonal. He’d found another position at a hospital near Suzanne’s home. Apparently Dr. Lawson had found it in his heart to make some phone calls recommending Nick.

      She found the ICU doctor who explained what had happened. She returned to Mrs. Dawson, her pulse racing. “It is good news. Let me explain. Sid’s respirator picked up spontaneous breaths. That means she’s trying to breathe on her own. That’s a really good sign. He also did an electroencephalogram, an EEG which looks at brain activity. A month ago there was very little which concerned us but there was a lot of activity today. I think Sidnee is waking up.”

      Mrs. Dawson clutched her heart. She went to Sidnee’s bedside and picked up her hand. “Sid baby, mama’s here, wake up darling.”

      Kate sat down beside her. “She’s been asleep for a long time, it may take her a Few days to wake up, but keep talking to her. She can probably hear you, and it will help stimulate more brain activity.”

      Mrs Dawson began talking to Sidnee, telling her about all the homework that had piled up and the lessons the teachers had been sending home. She gave her an update on what had happened on all of Sid’s favorite TV shows.

      Kate didn’t have the heart to tell her that chances were good that Sidnee may have brain damage and would likely require years of rehabilitative therapy. Mrs. Dawson had hope after a very long time, and Kate wanted her to enjoy the moment.

      Kate sat with Mrs. Dawson and Sidnee for the better part of an hour then excused herself to get back to the office. The NIH grant had started and she was busier than ever.

      Her house was coming along. Her stuff had been moved in, she had rented out her old condo. She had an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist next week. 

      It was a good day. A rare day of hope. 

      She pulled out her cell phone and brought up Nick’s contact information. She went through this every day. She’d pick up the phone to text him, but she just ended up looking at his picture and putting the phone away. 

      He’d probably already found someone to share his bed. She hoped it was Lucas but she realized that his need to fill his bed was a substitute for the love he never let anyone give him. She hoped he would find someone that he could share his life with. Maybe he had opened his heart enough to let someone else in now. The thought brought a tear to her eye. 

      She put her cell phone away. She had fortified her heart enough to move on with her life. 

      ***

      Nick knocked on Suzanne’s door. She opened it wearing a red dress. He smiled at her. “Hot date tonight?” They had gotten friendly over the last month, something that made coordinating Lucas’s schedule a lot easier. Suzanne had been very gracious about letting Lucas spend most weekends with him. He even got to see him some weeknights and on days when he had a light surgical schedule. Suzanne had a nanny that cared for him during the day.

      “No, actually I got a sitter for Lucas. I thought we could talk.”

      Nick frowned. What did they have to talk about? Was Suzanne reconsidering their arrangement? His pulse quickened. He’d called off his lawyer since she had been so nice about visitation. Maybe that had been a mistake.

      He stepped inside. 

      “I made us some dinner.”

      He narrowed his eyes. She had set up the dining room table with candles and formal place settings. He’d shared a couple of meals with her when he dropped Lucas off but it was usually at the kitchen table next to Lucas’s high chair.

      His stomach turned. “This is a bit formal isn’t it?”

      She smiled prettily at him. He noticed that she had a lot of makeup on. “Well, we haven’t had a chance to really catch up and talk so I thought we’d have a nice dinner.” 

      She waved him in. He sat down reluctantly. She handed him a glass of wine.

      “Suzanne, I probably have the wrong idea here but you aren’t trying to…to get with me are you?”

      She smiled. “No Nick, we both know how that turned out for us the last time.”

      He relaxed a fraction and took a sip of his wine. He’d never understand women.

      “This time, I’d like us to try dating, see if we can make it work, for Lucas’s sake. We could be parents together Nick.”