CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

      Kate watched in amazement as Nick served out spaghetti and meatballs. He’d bought a high chair for Lucas and a child plate and glass.

      She took a small bite of her food. She’d worked hard the last month to keep her eating in check. 

      “So what have you been up to the last month?”

      She smiled. “I’ve been busy packing.”

      He looked up. “I bought the house on Peach street, the one we had stopped by to see.”

      He grinned. “I am so glad. I can’t wait to see it.”

      “I closed on it yesterday as a matter of fact. I move in this weekend.”

      He reached out and took her hand. “I am so happy for you Kate. I was worried you’d back out of it after we….”

      She smiled. “…oh aren’t you full of yourself.” She took another small bite of her food. It wasn’t bad. “I thought about it, but in an odd way, us breaking up made me realize that I want to stop waiting and start living my life. Control my own destiny. I don’t need someone else to give me the life I want.”

      “Well Lucas and I will help you move.”

      She smiled as she looked from Nick to Lucas. They tucked into their food. Lucas giggled as Nick made faces at him. After dinner, he lifted him up and balanced him on one arm as he cleaned his face, neck and arms. 

      “This boy gets more food on his face and clothes than in his mouth.”

      Kate noticed that Nick had created a little play area for Lucas in the living room. “I’ve also been looking for another place to live. Something with a yard where Lucas can play.”

      Kate’s heart thudded .Her house had a yard. It had a pool. It had a child’s room already done up. She had planned to turn the room into a study. 

      He pressed his lips. “Only, Dr. Lawson hasn’t been pleased with me. I am still in my probationary period.”

      Kate’s hand flew to her mouth. “Oh my god Nick. I didn’t think of that at all when this lawsuit came up.” She wrung her hands. “I’d offer to talk to Dr. Lawson but I think it would have the opposite of my desired effect.”

      “You could guarantee that you won’t talk to a surgeon ever again.”

      She smiled. “I am sorry Nick. I didn’t think about your probation. In fact, I was so caught up in feeling sorry for the Dawsons, I didn’t think through how this would affect you.”

      He nodded. “I like that you care about your patients Kate, it makes you who you are. But they aren’t your whole life.”

      She shook her head. “They are Nick. My practice, my patients are the only thing that are a constant in my life. The only thing that I can control, the only things that give my life meaning day after day.”

      He looked away but didn’t press the issue.

      He helped him give Lucas a bath, giggling as Lucas threw suds in her face. Nick splashed him with water and Lucas did the same. By the end of it, Kate was halfway wet. Nick pointed her to his closet. Just get a shirt from there. His eyes darkened. “You look quite good in just my shirt and nothing else.”

      Her heart fluttered. Not a day had gone by that she hadn’t thought about being with Nick. About the feeling of his hands and his mouth on her. She bit her lip. The last month had been hard on her but she’d somehow managed to accept the fact that he was gone from her life. Did she want to let him back in so easily?