CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

            Nick tried to catch her eye but she studiously avoided him. He took a breath. He was waiting for Sidnee to be wheeled in. He’d hoped to catch Kate before she scrubbed into the OR but his previous procedure ran late and she’d already scrubbed in by the time he came. There were a number of nurses roaming about getting things ready. 

      “Dr Hurley, may I talk to you for a minute.”

      That got her attention. She was wearing a mask on her face but he could feel the scowl in her eyes. She stood rooted in her spot, arms crossed. He walked over to her. 

      “Kate, are you okay?”

      “Why wouldn’t I be Dr Clements” she snapped. So this is how we’re going to play it. He longed to touch her. To pull that stupid cap and mask off her face and kiss her until she came to her senses. Why were they fighting? He’d done what she’d asked. He’d talked evenly with Sidnee’s parents. He’d never gone that far for any of his patients. They had agreed that they would respect the parent’s decision. Why had she pushed him away so suddenly?

      Kate had always been level headed. So what was she really mad about?

      He wanted them to stop fighting. He had missed her the last few nights. More than he cared to admit. He’d kept his eyes peeled all day yesterday hoping to see her. He’d even gone over to the psychiatric ward to see if she was scheduled to do rounds. The nurse behind the counter had looked sympathetically at him and said. “Dr Hurley rarely comes through here. Most of her patients are outpatients. I would not hold your breath if I were you.” Somehow word had spread to the OR nurses who had not so politely told him that she had a fiancé. That was news to him. Why hadn’t she mentioned a fiancé? He thought back to her apartment. He hadn’t seen any signs of another man there. 

      “I missed you.”

      He saw her body relax just a fraction. But then it tensed again. She remained silent.

      “Hey, word is you have a fiancé. Have you been hiding him under your bed?”

       She rolled her eyes at him. “We broke up.” Her voice was flat but he could see the world of hurt in her eyes. 

      “How long ago?” 

      “Six months.”

      “What happened?” he asked softly.

      She tensed. “We wanted different things.”

      The doors opened and Sidnee was wheeled in.  Things would be better after they got through Sidnee’s surgery. Kate would see how safe the procedure was and they could get back to…whatever it was between them.

      He watched as staff transferred Sidnee to the OR table. She was dressed in a hospital gown and a cap covered her hair. “You doing okay?” She looked scared but nodded. “Is Dr H here?” 

      “I am right here Sid.” Kate stepped up and took her hand. “I’ll be right here with you the entire time okay.” Sidnee nodded, her eyes wide. He laid her back. The anesthesiologist placed a mask on her nose and mouth. “Take some deep breaths Sidnee.”

      He moved to her IV and pushed the anesthetics. When she was out, he opened her mouth and put a tube down her throat that would breathe for her. He attached the respirator.

      “She’s ready for you.” The anesthesiologist took a seat and opened a magazine.

      Nick already had her draped with surgical paper. Only her abdomen was exposed. He took the scalpel and made an incision. He’d done this procedure a thousand times. Sidnee was the perfect candidate. He expected it to go smoothly. He’d be done in less than an hour, and then he’d corner Kate.