Chapter 2: Crash and Burn

This could not be happening. 

    The next few minutes were a blur. I vaguely remember the concerned faces of my friends, Applejack checking to make sure the door was closed and locked as I sank to my knees in tears. Why was this happening to me? I was RAINBOW DASH, for crying out loud! I bawled into my hands and drew my knees up to my chest. I was wet and miserable.

    Sometime later, after I had calmed down, I picked up my phone. My mom was still online, and it seemed that she had been waiting for my crying to stop. Perhaps she had been having her own cry-fest. I held the phone back up to my ear, forcing my sadness out and trying hard to replace it with stone. Still, my voice was cracking and wavering as I called out to her softly. "Mom?"

    "It's best if you don't come home, Dashie," she replied. I could hear the strain in her voice and wished that I could be there for her. "Your father..." there was a pause and I could hear her crying at the other end of the line. There were stupid tears running down my face too. "Was hit on our front porch by a drunk driver that drove into our house. Your father was thrust under the car..."

    "I get it, Mom," I interrupted desperately, feeling the need to interrupt her before she got too far. The stupid tears were already streaming down my face faster than I could wipe them off. "I won't come home. Will you be okay?" I tried my best to be strong, if only for a moment. If only for the most awesome mom in the whole universe.

    "I don't know about that, dear." I could hear traffic in the background. "They're taking your dad to the hospital and I'm riding in the ambulance with them. Your aunt's going to pick you up after school, and you will be staying with her. I... I already gave her a bag with enough clothes for your stay." There were voices and machine beeps in the background. When Mom spoke again, her voice was rushed. "I have to go now, Dashie, stay safe. I love you."

    "I love you too, Mom," I choked out, covering my mouth with my hand and feeling the tears catch on it and drip down my arm. The phone call ended, and I sat there again, crying. Eventually I felt my friends' hands resting on my back, giving me their silent support. I vaguely heard Sunset Shimmer and Applejack telling me that it was going to be alright, but I almost laughed in their faces. Nothing was alright. Nothing would ever be freaking alright again. 

    Because my Dad was in the Emergency room.

    My Mom was falling apart. 

    My whole life was falling apart. 

    I hated the tears. I hated the sobs. But, surely, even the most awesome person would be allowed to cry if one of the people she loved best was on the brink of death, right? Anyone who didn't cry would be a jerk to not love such an awesome dad. But as I sobbed, I was sick of the tears. I was sick of the hiccups. 

    So I took a deep breath and gave the worst heart-wrenching and guttural scream I had ever uttered in my entire life. 

(A/N: I know these chapters are kinda short but please bear with me. Though this is my first official fanfiction, I do have a trilogy I have been writing for over a year and I'm really committed to it. Sometimes Rainbow won't exactly be completely in character because of this; I sometimes slip up and give her a similar personality to a cocky girl character in my novel. Sorry.)

(Also, THANKS SO MUCH to the two people who have voted on my book so far!!! You can't believe how happy I was to see that. Again, thanks so much. You've really made that leap of faith worth it.)