EIGHT

"God really does answer prayers!" Paola shrieks as she hands me the dress I let her borrow a few months ago that I was planning to use for my date tonight

I guess I finally have a reason to wear it.

I was standing in my matching set of red lingerie in front of the vanity, applying makeup while Paola and Justine had been sitting on opposite sides of the room, talking to me as I got ready.

"I was praying that you'd finally stop friend zoning that man!" Paola giggles

Justine is sitting in the corner of my room flipping through a book she had just started at the beginning of the month, "I don't know...I was here for it at first but now I'm not sure if I want you to ruin that friendship."

Paola waves her hands dismissively, I can see both of them as I'm looking in the mirror, "Don't listen to her she's delirious. You're making a great decision. It'll be just like how we were in high school. We can go on triple dates and everything now."

"Yeah, without Jesse?" Justine says with a questioning look on her face

"That's the beauty of it." Paola sighs dreamily causing Justine to roll her eyes and look at her book.

"I only said you and Carter would be cute because of your friendship but I didn't think you'd actually listen to us and go on a date with this man. What's gonna happen if this thing between you doesn't work out?" Justine says and I sigh, placing the cap back onto my mascara screwing it shut

Of course, I thought about what would happen if I decided I didn't want to be with Carter romantically. But I would like to think that Carter and I were more mature than to let some little fling ruin our friendship.

I'm still nervous. I'm not even sure If I want to go out with him because of the fact that we literally work together. We're both in high positions of power so it's not like I'm dating my boss. But I'm dating my equal and that's still a bit nerve-wracking.

"I don't know what I'd do if we weren't friends. But honestly, this isn't even a real date to me it's just two friends hanging out."

"Then why are you wearing lingerie?" Justine raises an eyebrow

"I always wear lingerie."

"The good lingerie." She emphasizes

"All the pieces I own are cute?"

"But those are the red ones." she points out wither her finger, "Your favorite pair."

"Can I not just wear what I like in peace?"

"But on a date with your friend."

"Why are you overanalyzing?" I ask annoyed

"Because I don't want you to go out with Carter!" she whines and closes her book as I release a  sigh. "I liked who you were when you were with Jesse. I know I was against it before but I've been hearing some things. I think you'd be making a huge mistake."