First Year - Wands

Charlie's POV

The duo had been at Diagon Alley for at least two hours trying to find all the books, robes, and other important things on the list for first years. They had one more book to find before going to Ollivanders. 

“What was the book called again?” Charlie asked her dad, window shopping as she saw a broomstick. Her eyes went wide as she started going to the window.

“ ‘A History of Magic’, “ Owen told her, looking up from the list to see that she had wandered off. “We are never going to get out of here.” He said to himself as he walked over to the quidditch shop. “Well, you might get one if you finish up getting your books.” Owen said from behind Charlie, hearing the words, and processing them as the possibility of her being able to fly on a broom like a witch from cartoons, she was in.

“How many more books do I need? And what are they?” She questioned quickly, she looked up expectantly as her dad repeated what he had said earlier, 

“ ‘A History of Magic’ by Bathilda Bagshot,” He said, this time he looked away from the paper and made eye contact with Charlie, who hadn’t wandered off again, yet. 

“Oh, I saw that in the other store, the one we were just in.” She explained as she took off down the crowded street. Shaking his head, Owen quickened his pace to make sure his daughter stayed in his sights. 

They had bought the book and before they could get back outside, Charlie bumped into a boy. Neither really falling over, just taking a step or two back. “Sorry,” Charlie spoke, regaining her balance before the boy had time to process what happened. “Are you all right?” She asked. She looked at the boy, he had sandy blonde hair, and he seemed a little shy. 

“I’m all right, and it’s ok.” He looked up at her momentarily, before looking around at the ground to make sure neither of them dropped anything. “Well, I better get going, sorry.” Charlie smiled at him while he started walking away,

“It was nice to meet you. I think, I didn’t really even get your name.” After talking loudly for the first part, she started rambling to herself as she walked out of the shop. She thought for a second before looking around, “It’s time for my wand!” she remembered excitedly, “Mr.Ollivanderes, right?” She asked, making sure she got the man's name right. After a nod of approval, and five minutes, she found the wand shop. The shop was empty when they walked in. Looking around for a moment, a man walked out. 

“Well hello.” Charlie looked up, startled, the confused look on her face got the man talking again, “Charlotte I presume. You know I gave your dad his first wand too.” Charlie slowly turned to her dad to see if he was telling the truth. He was. Charlie made a face of approval and started talking. 

“Yes sir, and I am here for my first wand,” she started and then stopped before she realized she had yet to get the man's actual name, “you’re Mr.Ollivander right?” It was an afterthought, but better late than never. After a moment of silence, the shopkeeper smiled and started trying to find the girl with a wand. Getting handed a wand, Mr.Ollivander nodded, believing in his choice until wands started flying off a shelf.

“Not that one.” He said to himself, taking back the wand, “What if,” He paused again and handed Charlie another wand. Sparks flew out of the end and Charlie’s arm went warm. Dropping the wand, the two adults looked to Charlie,

“It felt like it peed on my arm.” She told them innocently,

“That’s the one!” Ollivander said to the girl.

“But it peed on my arm!” She said, getting laughed at. Owen paid for the wand, Charlie vibrating with excitement. “Thank you!” she basically yelled before almost running into the door, “Watch out for the door, it moves.” She got a chuckle before officially leaving and her dad bringing up a different subject.

“I think you have too much energy for any more sugar,” the Ravenclaw said, laughing at his daughter's face at the mention of sugar, “you wouldn’t want any ice cream now would you?” He asked her, her head nodding ‘yes’ so fast if it wasn’t attached it would have gone flying. 

“Okay, okay. Just don’t tell Sawyer, or mom.” He told her before being dragged by the arm to the ice cream parlour, ‘Florean Fortescue’s’.

Written by: Lo