Chapter 3: Love is For the Highest Bidder

Lila stood with a shark like grin on her face in front of Adrien's large white fenced-in manor, she adjusted her short red dress. She took large steps, hair splayed out in the breeze to the front door knocking on the oak door. Adrien opened the door and Lila leaned into him whispering something into his ear. His face morphed from one of confusion to anger.

"She would never and you would dare to tell me such a thing on my wedding day?" Adrien asked outraged.

"All it takes is a simple look, and if you would look beyond her you could see someone else waiting patiently for you to love you and to comfort you," Lila said and Adrien growled.

"Are you calling me blind woman!" he shouted reaching his hand up to slap her but, she stood her ground.

"I'm calling you anything but blind, you are a man infatuated with a woman who will never love you the way any other woman could!" Lila cried out still desperate to get Adrien to love her but he thought for a second.

"If what you say is true then you will make sure to keep his distracted at the wedding and perhaps I'll thank you for your services and let you live here too," Adrien said and Lila looked up at him a shimmer returning to her snake-like green eyes.

"You won't regret this," Lila said turning on her heel walking back down the pavement drive way feeling the chaos bubble up inside of her Marinette would regret everything she ever did, all those times she was better than her, seen first, taken first, she would pay deeply.

Marinette laughed in her and Jon's shared apartment with Damian as she packed. As much as she hated having to leave the man she'd only known for three days now, it would be better for her and Jon in the long run. Jon and Damian talked in the corner and then Jon's blue eyes met Marinette's looking sympathetic, he knew what she was going to have to do by tonight eight pm sharp. Break his heart, make it so he never wants to see you again. Jon had never been in love himself being two years younger than still teenaged Marinette but if he ever had to let go of Marinette, his sister, he would rather die.

"Jon, love, could you give us a moment," Marinette said patting Jon's head and the young teen scurried away. "This is going to have to be the end, I want you out of Paris before Jon gets too attached, jealousy will drive you mad Damian, you won't even be able to stay in the same country, go back to your family," Marinette said trying to keep up a careful composure and Damian was startled by the sudden honesty from Marinette.

"Why are you saying this now?" Damian asked. "Why aren't you going along with our plan?" Damian was confused and concerned. What had Audrey said to her last night?

"You don't understand this isn't a game Damian, this is my life we're talking about now get out of here! I never want to see you again! I don't love you, you would never be able to love me the way anyone else could!" Marinette started yelling.

"Is that all love is to you, money and power?" Damian asked eyebrows narrowing. "You're free to leave me but just don't deceive me Marinette," Damian said.

"It's what I need, it's what I want, you don't get to make my choices for me, no one does!" Marinette yelled shoving him.

Damian growled taking money out of his jacket and throwing it at her feet and her eyes widened in shock but Damian saw it as glee. "Take it, I thought I believed in love and I thought you did too but money is just for the highest bidder isn't it?" Damian asked and Marinette stayed silent. Damian scoffed turning and walking out of the room seeing Jon standing right outside the door hurt and confusion swirling through his eyes.

"Damian, why did you..." Jon started and Damian grabbed him by the shirt pushing him into the wall.

"You knew I wasn't the guy she needed to meet on day one didn't you? You still sent me in there to get my heart broken! Why, why would you do that to me!" Damian yelled at Jon who's eyes pooled with tears.

"She deserved better than a man who uses kids in alleyways," Jon said head lolled to the side and Damian dropped his hands in shock. "I mean you said it yourself, love is for the highest bidder and there are sick people out there who get their jollies in any way they can, I've seen him there before, I knew him, he didn't know me." Damian was highly disturbed.

"Are you saying you work as a..." Damian started but didn't want to think of the seventeen year-old in those types of positions.

"Not for much longer, and even though you and my sister aren't on very good terms, you can't tell her, it'll break her heart harder than she broke yours," Jon said smiling sadly and Damian sighed before walking away. "If it means anything to you, I'm sorry," Jon said calling after him and Damian smiled sadly at him. He couldn't blame the poor boy, offering to be used over letting his sister marry a horrible man. What a horrifyingly sweet thing to do.

Jon walked into the apartment and Marinette had just finished packing leaving the money thrown at her on the ground.

"Marinette, we can't stay here much longer," Jon said offering her a hand to get up from the floor where she had started to cry.

"Jon, darling, never do anything like that ever again, you stay out of those kinds of conversations, when I said to leave the room I meant it," Marinette said sternly.

"You know he didn't mean it! And you didn't mean it either," Jon said holding her hands in his.

"Jon, there is only one person I love in this world at this point and that is you my dear brother, men are animals, don't become one, stay like this forever ok?" Marinette said coughing through it before her eyes rolled back in her head closing, body craning back down to the ground.

"Marinette!" Jon yelled holding her close to him. A hand placed itself on his shoulder and he turned around expecting to see Damian but instead saw a blond familiar man. Adrien Agreste.

"Let's get her ready for tonight why don't we?" Adrien asked snapping his fingers and suddenly men came in to take all of their things including the money from the floor. Adrien swooped Marinette into his arms and ushered Jon out to the car.

Damian watched from across the street biting his lip in anger. His eyes upon her eyes, his skin upon her skin, it's more than he can bear. "Why does my heart cry out with feelings I can't hide?" Damian asked himself and a body found itself next to his.

"I don't believe we've been introduced," Lila said predatory smile fixed on her face. "You should come to the wedding tonight," Lila said. "Say goodbye to her properly." Damian stood and thought for a second. "If you think I don't care about Marinette you're wrong, I just care for my own needs above hers," Lila said telling half truths trying to fool Damian which surprisingly worked in a moment of desperation, love, and heartbreak.

"How will I get in?" Damian asked the vixen.

"We'll just say you're my plus one, Adrien won't even notice and I might even be able to get you close to dear Marinette since Audrey and I have some last minute adjustments to make on her dress," Lila said smiling sickeningly sweet.

"Deal."