Chapter 37

I wanted to talk about the whole long-distance thing with Charlie further but the buzzing of my phone interrupts our kiss. I fumble for it to find Sarah's name popping up. "Hi Sarah, what's up?" - "I have to tell you something." Hearing the sound of Sarah's voice makes a thousand alarming bells rings in my ears. "What happened?" Sarah takes a deep breath before she says "I know why Kaylie kissed Charlie." I catch my breath. What did she just say? "How?" - "I rather not tell you over the phone. Can you guys come by?" I nod hastily before I realize she can't see me. "Sure, we'll be there soon." When we hang up Charlie looks at me confused. "We have to go to Sarah's place."

Charlie didn't ask any questions. He helped me up and collected the blanket and our stuff. He let me guide him to Sarah's house which isn't a too far drive from the lake. I would love to make a run for Sarah's door but it's not possible with those stupid crutches. Inside Sarah maneuvers us into the living room and when we sit down she says "Mia, you were right." Now I'm the one to be confused. "Right about what?" - "About Lukas." Lukas? What does he have to do with any of this. I look over to Charlie who looks just as confused as me. "I went to the rink today because I thought I should finally step up and ask if he wants to grab a coffee with me. I saw Kaylie walk in shortly before me so I stayed away. I saw them arguing so I stepped closer and eavesdropped."

I'm still not totally sure where this is going so I just listen and wait. "She said everyone hates her now because she kissed Charlie and you hurt yourself because of it." - "But why was she telling Lukas that? I didn't know they were close." Sarah looks at me, her face full of regret. "They're not. That's it. They're not." I look at Charlie once again but he still seems totally confused, just like me. "Sarah, you're not making any sense." - "He made her do it Mia. He made her kiss Charlie." Charlie and I are catching our breath at the same time. "He did what?" - "I can't believe I liked him! He hurt my best friend!" I can see Sarah is close to tears but I still only understand half her story. "Sarah, tell us exactly what happened."

"What do you want Kaylie?" Lukas voice sounds annoyed. "Everyone hates me because of you." He just roles his eyes at the desperate sound of Kaylie's voice. "I didn't do anything." Kaylie inhales sharply. Lukas is about to turn away but Kaylie grabs his arm which earns her a scary look but she doesn't loosen her grip. "You made me kiss him." The laugh that escapes Lukas's lips sounds mocking. "I think you did that all by yourself." Once again Kaylie inhales sharply. She seemed upset seconds ago but now she seems angry. "You said if I kissed him Mia would be upset. You said she'd loose her focus during training and I could be the star. And you could be the one to comfort her." Lukas shakes off Kaylie's hand as soon as her grip loosens and glares at her warning. "Keep your voice down." For a second Kaylie looks around worried but then the anger returns. "Why? So no one knows you were involved? I have nothing to loose here. Everyone thinks I'm the bad girl already anyways." Once again Lukas laughs at Kaylie.

"But you are. You agreed to my plan right away. You had no problem hurting Mia." - "I didn't think she would hurt herself like that!" - "Do you think I wanted that?" Lukas voice is so harshly that Kaylie flinches. "She just needed to realize he isn't the right one for her. She had to realize I am." Kaylie takes another step back. "You're crazy. She'll never forgive you for that." Lukas takes another step towards Kaylie. "She'll never know. Soon he'll be gone and she'll still be hurt. I'll be there for her and you'll keep quiet." - "Why would I do that?" Lukas takes yet another step towards Kaylie but she doesn't flinch or move even though her eyes give away her fear. "Because you want to be the star of the competition, don't you?" Kaylie nods shyly. "Then we have a deal." Without waiting for a response Lukas turns around and walks away.

I don't know what to say to this. I look at Charlie helplessly and once he catches the expression on my face he jumps up, his hands clenched in fists. "I don't believe this guy!" Charlie starts pacing up and down and I can't do anything but sit and watch, still unable to process what I just heard. "Mia, I'm so sorry." Sarah's voice is trembling and I can see tears forming in her eyes. "You have nothing to be sorry for." It's the first thing I say and at the sound of my voice Charlie immediately stops pacing and looks at me. First, he looks at my face but then his eyes fix on my ankle. "I'm gonna make him pay for that." - "Charlie" I say shyly, which makes him look back up into my eyes. "Don't" I add. "Let me handle this."

He comes over and sits down next to me. Reaching for my hands he says "Are you sure?" I nod slightly. "I should have done it after the New York incident." - "The what?" We both look at Sarah at the same time. My eyes widen in shock. For a second I had forgotten she was sitting only a few feet away. I take a deep breath before I say "This isn't the first time Lukas did something that wasn't ok." Sarah looks at me, concern rising in her eyes. "I should have told you, I'm so sorry Sarah."