Chapter 23

"Mia?" Charlie has taken a step aside and opened the door of my dads car for me. I, on the other hand, am frozen in place, taking some time to look at him. He's wearing a red muscle shirt and black jeans. When my eyes catch his shoes I can't help but laugh. He must have followed my gaze because when I look back up at him he's looking at my shoes, laughing too. "Nice taste" I say. Smirking he says "So do you." Making an almost unnoticeable gesture for me to get in the car he adds "You look incredible by the way." Only seconds ago my legs had finally turned into solid legs instead of pudding but now it's like it has been completely reversed. I can feel my cheeks blush in the slightest way paired with a huge grin appearing on my lips. Finally, I manage to continue walking and hop into the car. It takes only seconds for Charlie to jump into the driver's seat and start driving.

"So where are we off too?" I feel like I know the route we're taking but I'm not completely sure where it leads to yet. "You'll know soon enough." I turn my head slightly to look at Charlie. His eyes are fixed on the road but I can tell he's smirking. I wonder if he knows how sexy I think this is because he's truly doing that a lot lately. After a few more turns I'm pretty sure I know exactly where we're going. One more turn and we're there. When Charlie stops in front of Old Macy's I can't help but look at him with surprise. "How'd you know?" - "I had a little help." Of course! My parents did not only lend him the car. This place is our own little secret. Ever since my first competition we would come here afterwards. We never go here on other days. It's saved for the special days, the competition days. Before I have a chance to open my door Charlie has already jumped out of the car, walked around and opened mine. He's really going all in tonight. I know it's just a small gesture but it still makes the most stupid smile plant itself on my face.

Once we're inside and sat at my favorite table, at the window in the back corner, we start studying the menu. Usually, I have my go to order but I feel like, since today is a special occasion, not the regular occasion we go here for, I guess it's time to try something different. "Can I get you anything to drink?" I look up from my menu and smile when I see Jane. "Oh Mia, I didn't expect to see you today." She throws an inconspicuous look at Charlie before she adds "The usual?" I shake my head slightly. "I'll have the homemade strawberry lemonade today. Charlie?" He looks up from his menu, obviously not having realized someone is talking to us. "What do you want to drink?" He doesn't even think about it for a second before he says "Whatever you got." and then returns his attention to the menu.

"Damn Mia, how am I supposed to choose? This all sounds so good!" I can't help but laugh because that was my exact response the first times mum and dad took me here. "I know. Go with... either the lasagna, the fried rice with chicken or the oven-baked potato salad." I know the rest of the food is really good too but those are the ones my parents and I chose as our favorites. Usually, I would grab the lasagna. It became sort of my after-competition-treat. Today I think I'll go with the salad though. As if she read my mind Jane returns with our drinks.

"You know what you want to eat yet?" I nod at her and say "The oven-baked potato salad please." She nods approvingly and then looks at Charlie. "I'll have the lasagna." Before I can stop myself another grin appears on my face. When I look at Jane I can see she's smiling too. She knows that's my go to order. "What?" Charlie says, surely he must have seen both our smiles. Jane disappears without saying a word. "That's what I usually get." Now Charlie is smiling too. "Then I guess it was a good choice."

"That place is a gem" Charlie says while we're walking back to the car. "Right? I'm so glad we found it when I was younger." I'm really happy he likes it just as much as I do. I don't know why but this place is kind of a big deal to me. "What are we doing now?" It's only 7:30pm and the party is just about 30 minutes away from where we are right now. "Let's go for a walk." Without waiting for my response Charlie reaches for my hand and pulls me along towards the small park near Old Macy's. For a while we just walk, talking about literally everything. Eventually we come to a bench and sit down. It's starting to turn dark by now and it's a little chilly too.

I can feel myself shivering slightly. Without even asking if I'm cold Charlie wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer. Immediately I'm not cold anymore and my pulls is racing. I rest my head against his shoulder. If it were up to me we could stay like this forever. For a little while we do, both not saying a word. Charlie is drawing small circles on my arm which makes goosebumps appear on the spots he touched. I lift my head up a little to look at him. The way he looks at me sends shivers down my spine. His gaze is so soft. For a moment we just look at each other but then he leans down just slightly. I lift my head up an inch and just like that his lips are on mine.