Finale (⟔⋖⅃⊡)

"We aren't that far now."

"Really?"

"Yeah, if my math's correct, only a couple of hours by car."

That was how most dinners went. How far away were we? How much longer? How many more days until we would be home, in our own beds? It was either that or...grieving. I guess I'd rather have the former than the latter. Didn't hurt as much.

"How many more days is that for us then?" I asked, taking a sip of my water.

"Depends on how far the taxis and the buses can get us," Adam replied.

"And how far we can walk."

Adam nodded. "That, too."

We sat at a small table in the back corner of the restaurant's patio. Neither of us said anything for a while until I opened my menu and started browsing the options. It was a diner, so a lot of it was to be expected. Cheeseburgers and fries, steak, sandwiches, the whole lot. But it was better than fast food, or trying to make a meal out of vending machine snacks.

"How different do you think it's going to be?" I asked. "Coming home, I mean?"

"It's..." Adam thought for a second. "It's probably gonna feel really strange."

"Home is gonna feel really...empty..." I sank in my seat.

Adam's expression went pensive and he looked at the ground. "...How are we gonna break the news to everyone?"

"I've been trying not to think about it," I leaned on my hand and looked out at the scenery. "I honestly think Mom and Dad will just be surprised to see us alive after all this time."

"Minus one."

"Well, yeah. Minus one."

"They aren't gonna handle it well when we tell them what happened to Jack."

"No shit, Sherlock."

Adam sighed. "What do we tell them? Will they believe us if we tell the truth?"

"I mean..." I paused. "They're our parents. What would they do?"

"I don't know...but it's a death in the family that we were present for. I'm not looking forward to finding out."

I slumped in my chair uncomfortably and watched as a drop of condensation dripped from my water glass onto my napkin. Adam went back to looking at his menu. Behind me, I could hear more people arriving. I turned to look back at the patio entrance out of curiosity.

What I saw wasn't what I expected.

I turned back with a stunned expression. "...I must be hallucinating again."

Adam promptly put the menu down. "What is it?"

"This is gonna sound crazy, but..." I hesitated, "...one of those people over there looks exactly like Jack...to a T."

Adam's brow furrowed and he peered over my shoulder at the people waiting to get in. It didn't take him long before he looked back at me, his face white as a sheet.

"...I don't know if that's just a lookalike this time..."

We both sat dumbfounded for a moment, then looked back at whatever was happening at the entrance. There, on the opposite side of the patio, stood someone who looked a great deal like our brother. It was a carbon copy, in fact. But how could it be him? After what happened, how could he be here?

The line started moving, and the man who seemed to be Jack traipsed closer into view. He looked tired, his eyes glued to the floor. He got a few steps closer before his gaze met ours. He froze in place, an astounded expression spread across his face. Adam and I got up from our table and slowly approached him, no one really sure of what to say.