Next Up Forever (Jack)

My alarm clock went off at 5:30 am.

I blinked my eyes awake to the concluding nightlife over New York City. Just over the horizon, I could see vibrant watercolors of orange and light blue beginning to peek through. Sunrise was only moments away, and I would be leaving this city probably before that. Even though it had been months, I was still readjusting to the view from my window. The view with freedom. The view without them.

Mornings were quiet. You could hear the distant drone of traffic and occasional car horns or ambulances. Sometimes, there'd be people in the halls or neighboring apartments. Couples. Families. Friends. People from all walks of life passed through and left their mark. But no matter how many people were around me, it was still lonely. It still felt empty.

I got out of bed slowly and tossed on the first set of clothes I saw. My bag was ready and packed from yesterday evening, sat on the dresser. I took it in one hand and my jacket in the other. I took one final look at the sunrise before crossing through the threshold and out of my apartment.

It was a nice morning.

****

The elevator dinged as it opened onto the dark, desolate first floor. I kept forgetting how early it was. The sun was still just barely rising, ever so slightly showing through the windows. I carried my bag toward the front doors, my feet grazing the rug.

"Going somewhere?" A voice called from behind me. I froze in place. My heart jumped a bit, but the voice didn't seem threatening. More just...curious.

"...How'd you guess?" I replied, not moving from my position.

"I've seen all manner and types of people, it's not hard," The voice responded. "But you're also carrying a backpack on your shoulders, so I could make an inference."

"Oh."

I turned around to see an old man seated in a chair. I had never seen him here before. He had kind eyes and wore simple clothing. His expression was friendly.

"So, where are you headed to?" The old man asked.

I shifted my gaze to the floor. "...I lost something. Something really important to me. I don't even know if it still..." I hesitated for a moment, trying to find the right words. "If it's still out there. But I'm not gonna stop looking until I find out, one way or the other."

It was a simplified version of the truth. It would have to work.

The old man nodded, thinking to himself. "It sounds like you have quite the journey ahead of you, friend. And just based on the little time that I've known you, quite a few internal journeys to take, as well."

"Is that so?" I said tonelessly.

"I was once in...not the exact same place as you, but something similar," He began. "I promise I'll make it a quick story so you can get on your way:

When I was young, maybe a bit older than you, I was a man of business. I did my work and rose in ranks rather quickly and soon, I had a company of my own. One day, one of my higher-ups suggested a new product. I didn't know any better then, and I sent it through for testing.

That was the worst decision of my entire life. People got very hurt by it, they...they lost their lives. I tried to stop it, but no one would listen to me. My own colleagues tried to get me thrown out...and I couldn't prevent it. And there's still nothing I can do to this day."

I simply sat in awe.

"Friend...don't make the mistakes I have," The man continued. "Make beneficial decisions, weigh your pros and cons, and don't let the past influence who you are. You are more than that."