10

Loki watches the melee outside of his cell with mild interest. It is something new and the first time he has seen his brother in many days. Thor looks well and he is happy to have this moment of connection. He wonders if he might get a few moments after the fighting stops for a visit.

But after the prisoners are returned to their cells, either by brute force or their surrender, Thor leads his friends in a charge upstairs without even a glance back at his brother. Loki drops to his bed and sulks. A prisoner riot is no reason to ignore him, especially since he did not start it. Then something shakes the palace. It sounds like an explosion. Loki's mind races. Could that large, firey prisoner have blown something up? Was this a bigger scheme? He fiddles anxiously with the edge of the bedsheet. He knows Thor goes into battle often, but it is always somewhere else. Somewhere far from home. He decides to practice his illusions to pass the time and before long, a regal Loki is pacing the cell, hands behind his back, while he sits invisible on the bed.

When they bring him the news, it is his illusion that reacts. No one sees him, still sitting on the bed, jaw trembling, eyes filling with tears. Frigga is dead. While the illusion turns and expresses his grief with a single cell-shaking burst of energy, Loki himself feels sick. He heaves in the corner. Then he screams and the cell shakes, furnishings flying, pages scattering. He hears breaking glass and hopes something strikes him dead. He cannot stop screaming. He falls against the wall and slams his head into it repeatedly until he has no energy left and he is dizzy. He slides down the wall, heavy sobs shaking his body. He clutches his hair, pulling his head to his knees.

Thor wants to be the one to tell Loki the news but when he asks the guards if he might have a moment alone with his brother, he is told they have already informed him. He is surprised at how neat the cell is. He expected a more destructiver reaction.

Loki has had plenty of time to lay the blame for Frigga's death on both himself and Odin by the time Thor arrives. He hides behind bitterness.

"Have you come to boast of your victory over the evil that attacked this place? Are Asgard's King and Prince basking in the glory?"

"Loki enough. No more illusions."

The man at the front of the cell vanishes and Thor sees an Aesir Loki sitting against the wall, his hair a knotted mess, his clothes rumpled, tear streaks down his cheeks. Bloody smudges on the floor lead from the centre of the room to the wall. There are cuts on his feet and when he spreads his hands to speak, Thor sees them on his hands as well.

"Now you see me brother."

Thor shakes his head, "You have made a mess of yourself."

"Were you to come in, you would find it is worse than you think."

"You express your grief eloquently."

"Did she suffer?"

"I did not come here to share our grief. Instead I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament."

Loki is weary, but curious, "Go on."

"I know you seek vengeance as much as I do. You help me escape Asgard and I will grant it to you; vengeance. And afterward, this cell. Father will not allow you your freedom, but I can bargain with him for a comfortable imprisonment."

"You must be truly desperate to come to me for help."

"Then you agree?"

"When do we start?"

"As soon as you are fit for battle."

"You do not wish for me to terrify our enemies with my appearance of madness?"