[ tretze ]

[ tretze ] 

It was a couple more days after she saw the images on her television screen that Ashley finally cracked. Since then, Marc had unfollowed her on twitter and had not even showed his face around her house. It seemed that he was spending every speck of free time with Evangelina Roccuzzo and that drove Ashley over the brink. Though she wouldn't admit it to anyone, she was very upset. It was clear to her bestfriend Valerie. 

Not able to take much more, she decided to talk to someone about it. She discarded Valerie as an option. Valerie would immediately tell Sergi about it and Sergi would no doubt tell Marc. Ashley had too much pride for that. Valerie had her thoughts on one person anyway.

Ever since Marc had kept his promise and helped Valerie meet Sergi Roberto, the two had instantly clicked. To Ashley it was clear that all Sergi wanted from Valerie was friendship. He had been very polite, taken Valerie out to see the town and when they returned that night, he told her he wanted to continue seeing her. Valerie had taken it as a good sign, but Ashley knew better. They had been out every day for almost a week and Sergi didn't seem to be seeking a romatic relationship with Valerie. He just liked going out with her. Ashley was able to notice that from the start. Maybe that had been Marc's reason for chasing after her the way he did. He might have been able to see what she wasn't able to, that she actually was attracted to him.

Her father was discarded as an option almost as immediately as she discarded Valerie. Since he had left with his new girlfriend, Ashley hadn't spoken to him. And the few times she called him, on his birthday or on father's day, Lorena would answer the phone and hissed at Ashley to piss off. Ashley had complained to her father about his girlfriend, but he assumed his daughter was just trying to separate them. Eventually Ashley stopped trying to seek a relationship with her father.

Her mother Lucinda was her last option. 

The last few times Ashley and Lucinda saw each other, Lucinda was in a constant drunken state. She never left her bed, unless it was to show up to work. Ashley was certain that the reason her mother still had a job was because her mother's best friend was her boss.

Ashley dialed her mother's cellphone number and waited for an answer. When she heard her mother answer, she began in a shaky voice, "Mare..." Mom, she said in Catalan. "I need to talk to you. I need some advice. Its about a boy."

From the other end she heard her mother let out a drunken laugh. "Oh, you finally got a boy interested in you? Most boys in the neighborhood used to think you were a boy when you were a kid. Well, I hope you know how to keep this one or he'll leave you like your bastard father left me." Lucinda slurred. Her words caused a sting in Ashley's dark eyes and she bit her lip, trying to be strong. When Ashley was a child, she had always hated wearing dresses and skirts. Since she had no other siblings, her father spent a lot of time teaching her about sports. His favorite had always been futbol. Even now, Ashley preferred dressing in jeans over skirts and dresses. That was one thing her mother never liked about her.

Wiping the emerging tears from her eyes, Ashley sniffed, "You know what? I was wrong to call you. I was wrong to think you could help me."

She was just about to hang up the phone when her mother's voice stopped her. "Did you at least follow my advice about letting him chase you? Don't be all over the guy or else he'll think you're easy."

"I rejected him because I thought I wasn't interested, but I am. And now he's tired of chasing me. He's gone, mare." Ashley explained.

"You made him beg too long." Her mother scolded. "You can't do anything right, Ashley."