Echoes

On the ground level of Polis, Clove and Murphy surrounded by the dead. Puddles of blood stained the streets and screams and cries filled the air. "Jesus," Clove muttered as the pair walked around. "This is awful."

Murphy agreed quietly and they continued to walk until they spotted Jaha. They both slowed down and came to a stop. Clove noticed that Jaha had his gaze trained on a woman who was crying and holding a lifeless body in her arms. Clove frowned and took a step towards the woman but Murphy grabbed her arm to stop her. When Clove faced him, Murphy gestured his head towards Jaha, he was already nearing the woman. Jaha said something to the woman, only for her to spit in his face. 

"It's good to see you're making friends," Murphy called to him. 

"Hello John," Jaha said as he stood up. He didn't say anything to Clove but he did send her a small smile. "Glad to see you made it down. I could use some help with the dead."

"Go float yourself. These dead are on you, too, Chancellor," Murphy responded before turning the Clove. "Let's go." 

They rounded a corner to a less populated area where Caesar Coleman just happened to be also tending to grounders. He was having more success than Jaha since he was not a recognizable figure to them, but many people still denied his assistance because he was obviously a sky person. 

"Pa!" 

Caesar looked up to see his daughter. He gave the young boy in front of him one last smile and a pat on the shoulder before approaching Clove and encasing her in a hug. "I'm sorry," He sighed. "Taking the chip was the only way Emilio was getting out." 

Clove shrugged. "I would've done the same."

Caesar nodded solemnly before turning his eyes to Murphy. "I'm sorry to you, too. For the temple."

Murphy sniffed and crossed his arms. "Just another day on the ground, right?" He looked around and noticed Emori kneeling in some rubble. "Be right back."

Clove followed his eyes and nodded slowly. "Okay. We'll just be catching up." 

Murphy walked over to the grounder girl, who was collecting things off the ground. "What are you doing?"

Emori stopped what she was doing to look up at him. "Stocking up. What does it look like?"

"Stocking up for what?" He questioned.

"It's not safe for my kind here. Freikdreina are forbidden. I have to leave this place, John," She explained.

"On your own?"

"Doesn't seem like I have much of a choice." Emori's eyes flickered over to Clove and Murphy noticed. He watched Clove for a moment as she threw her head back and laughed at something her father said. Clove then punched her dad in the arm, causing him to wince and Murphy to stifle a chuckle. "You love her, don't you?"

Murphy turned back to Emori and sighed, completely unwilling to have that conversation. "You should come back to Arkadia with us." Emori scoffed and shook her head. "I mean it, you don't have to back out there and be alone. My people can protect you."

"Really?" Emori stared at him with a raised eyebrow. "How many times have they cast you out? And you're one of them. They would never accept me."

Murphy shook his head. "It's different now. They owe me and I owe you. Please let me pay you back."

Emori continued to stare at him for another moment before sighing. "Fine."

"Okay," Murphy spoke and they both stood straight up. "Come on, I'll introduce you."