XV

We don't need to be related to relate
We don't need to share genes or a surname
You are, you are
My chosen, chosen family
So what if we don't look the same?
We been going through the same thing
Yeah, you are, you are
My chosen, chosen family
-Rina Sawayama-

-Jae-

I couldn't get it out of my head that Inej had a sister. Sanya, she had said her name was. If she was here, she'd be around my age. I felt like I should... know more about this. It felt like-

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold." Kaz's voice broke through my thoughts.

We were travelling inside the carriage on our way to meet a Grisha. Her name was Nina and she'd help us get inside the Little Palace. Jesper and Arken, the Conductor's real name, sat on one side. Kaz, I and Inej sat across from them. Ever so slightly as the carriage rattled, my shoulder brushed up against Kaz's. I had tried to squirm away to give him space. "It's fine." He had whispered under his breath so that only I could hear.

"You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target." Kaz reminded Arken.

"Sun Summoner." I corrected. The target was a person, not some object we had to nab.

"Alleged." Kaz gave me a look. I stared right back.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." I pointed out. Kaz looked away, not ready to have this argument right now. He turned his attention back to Arken.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender." Kaz asked.

"Mhm." Arken nodded.

"How do we know we can trust her?" Inej questioned.

"Nina grew up there." Arken explained.

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace." I countered.

"Very few would betray their general, and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession." Kaz added.

"Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans." Arken explained as the carriage came to a stop. We all stepped out in front of the place where she had been staying. We entered inside to see a man behind the counter.

"We're looking for Nina." Arken asked the man. He was busy counting a lot of money and so he just pointed in the direction to the right. We followed his finger over to a room. The door was already slightly ajar. We entered the room, expecting her there. But no one was in the room.

"She knew to expect us..." Arken muttered. But she wasn't here.

"She isn't late. She's gone." Kaz announced.

"Yes, but her things are all..." Arken pointed around and he was right, her clothes and baggage were still here, strewn across the bed. I closed the hatch on her suitcase and noticed something glinting on the bed I picked it up. It was some sort of a metal wolf symbol.

"What's this?" I asked. Arken took a look at what I had in my hand.

"Drüskelle. They are ruthless Grisha hunters." He answered.

"Explains the Fjerdan krydda the innkeeper was counting when we arrived. It's likely he ratted her out." Kaz deduced as he walked over to stand by the window.

"She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now." Arken predicted sadly.

"They had a clear line of attack." Inej noted, looking outside.