14. what if

fourteen,
what if

        MISS JENN HAD somehow managed to convince Principal Gutierrez to let them use the gym for the musical

MISS JENN HAD somehow managed to convince Principal Gutierrez to let them use the gym for the musical. Phoebe couldn't believe how far they'd all come. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. She headed back into her room, double-checking her bag to make sure she didn't miss anything. She had her sheet music, script, makeup, and her notebook for in between scenes.

"Bee?" James knocked on her door. "Are you ready, sweetie?"

"Yeah," Phoebe called out, grabbing her back and opening the door. James had outdone himself, dressed in a black tuxedo. "Dad. . . you're going to a high school show not Broadway, you know that, right?"

"It doesn't matter if you're in it," James told her, swinging an arm around her shoulder as he led her downstairs.

Jack met them at the end of the staircase, dressed in a tuxedo like their father. He didn't a quick spin and pointed at her. "This should get all the ladies, right?"

"No," Phoebe shook her head. "You're 12."

"I could be 14," he countered.

Phoebe rolled her eyes and walked towards the front door. "I get the aux chord!"

"No," Jack whined, beginning to run so he could make it out to the car before her. Phoebe bolted towards the front seat and made it before him. "You're going to make us listen to Taylor Swift!"

"My night, my music," Phoebe narrowed her eyes at him. James walked out of the house and sighed at his children. "So suck it up." She got into the car and plugged her phone in.

Simply to spite Jack, Phoebe did have Taylor Swift playing the whole ride to East High (not that she wouldn't have done it before). She quickly said goodbye to her family before heading to the bomb shelter. EJ watched her walk in and went up to her. "Hey."

"Hey," Phoebe looked up, smiling at him.

"How're you feeling?" he wondered. "Opening nights can be stressful, first opening nights are even worse."

"Really nervous," she sucked in a breath. "My dad ended up inviting my mom and knowing her, she's either not going to show or she's going to show and then complain about how bad it was afterwards."

"The show could suck," EJ said, making her furrow her brows in confusion. "But definitely not because of you. You're the most talented person I know, okay? You're going to kill it."

Phoebe realized how close he'd gotten to her. She stepped back and went to say something. "Phoebe!" Kourtney walked up to the brunette and handed her costume, motioning for the girl to go change.