13. going overboard

thirteen,
going overboard

        PHOEBE HAD READ through her lines a few times

PHOEBE HAD READ through her lines a few times. She sat at the edge of the stage, staring off as she hummed a melody she had come up with. "Okay, we just need to nail down our lighting and our sound," Miss Jenn announced. "And, ta-da, we've got a show. I need some bodies for the rooftop scene."

"I can do Troy," EJ volunteered.

"Fine," Miss Jenn agreed. "Phoebe, stand in for Gabriella." Phoebe turned at the mention of her name and quickly stood up, walking over to her place. "Do we have a working lightboard? Do we have a working light switch?"

The lighting suddenly turned blue. Phoebe glanced up with furrowed brows only to be met with mannequins in neon clothes. She screamed in shock and jumped back. "My bad!" Clara called out. The redhead had gone back to help Big Red so they could get it figured out quicker and so she had something to do.

"Sorry, everyone," Carlos apologized. "My Uncle Ruben said that there was gonna be some leftover stuff from the fashion show. I guess the theme was 80's rave?"

"In a nuclear reactor?" Ashlyn sarcastically questioned, making everyone laugh.

"Big Red, Clara, do we have anything more flattering?" Miss Jenn asked them.

"We're working on it!" Big Red told her as they searched through the switches. Soon, the lighting turned back to normal.

"Okay," Miss Jenn continued, turning back to Phoebe and EJ. "Troy, basketball stuff. Gabriella, math stuff. Nobody doesn't cry, and we end up here center stage. Gabriella, give us your cue."

Phoebe glanced down at her script before looking back up. "Remember in kindergarten, you'd meet a kid, know nothing about them, then 10 seconds later, you're best friends?"

"Yeah," EJ replied as Troy.

"Singing with you felt like that."

EJ stepped closer to her. "Look, I never thought about singing, that's for sure. Until you." Phoebe looked up at him in confusion. He was giving so much to the scene that he didn't need to. "And now. . . I don't wanna stop. Ever."

"Stop," Phoebe shook her head and backed away from him. "Why are you acting like that?"

"I'm emoting, Bee," EJ responded. "Feel free to join me."

"Well, stop it," Phoebe hissed. "This isn't an emotional scene."

"It's a little weird," Miss Jenn voiced. "Clara, Big Red, can we hit these guys with a spotlight?"

"Looking for it!" Clara hollered.

A few seconds went by before Miss Jenn grew impatient. "Let's not wait for the lights. EJ, Phoebe just stand on your marks and gimme your cue again."