Chapter 3

Jay's P.O.V.

Kim was still asleep; hadn't woken up yet. Thankfully Makayla hadn't either. Unlike either of them I couldn't get a wink of sleep. A part of me was scared that Kim would wake up while I was asleep, and wouldn't call in a nurse or doctor because she didn't want to disturb anyone. But more so I wanted to make sure I was alert when Makayla woke up. Kim had cuts and bruises on her face so I've been debating whether or not it would be ok for Makayla to see Kim right now; would it scare her too much? I mean the kid was probably scared as it was, but seeing Kim like this might make it worse. Just for a moment I had looked away from Makayla to check on Kim, and make sure she was alright. I was surprised to find brown eyes looking back into mine.

"Hey Kim, it's good to see you awake." Her eyes just moved from me to Makayla. You could see the relief flood her eyes.

"I'm ok?"

"Yeah Kim, you're ok." I could see that there were some tears forming in her eyes so I lightly put my hand on hers. She shifted her eyes to our hands, and saw the letter that I had put on the side of her bed.

"What's that?" Uhhh.

"Adam left this. It's addressed to you so I don't know what's in it." I could see her confusion as she looked at it. She then started to look around.

"Where is he? Where is everyone else?" Oh...I knew by her voice that she was disappointed.

"Umm...well I don't know where Adam is; he dropped Makayla off here with Maggie, and then left. Kevin just went back to his place to get changed, and to let Nicole know. That I would stay with you guys. I told him to get some sleep so he'll probably be here soon. Voight and Hailey I also have no idea where either of them are." I don't even want to know if I want to know where they are. Something definitely happened between Hailey and Voight.

"Maybe we should start putting trackers on them." I know that she meant it as a joke, and I appreciate it. But I'm sort of scared of what we would find. She looks back down at the letter, and I hand it to her.

"I can take Makayla out for a bit if you want to read it." She immediately shook her head no. Kim probably didn't want to be alone, but out of the corner of my eye I saw Kim's doctor and Will see that she's awake and is coming to come check on her. I should probably get Makayla out of there before they come in and most likely wake her up, and she sees Kim surrounded by doctors. That would probably freak her out more than any of the situations I thought up before. I give Will a hand motion for him to come in just so that Kim knows at least someone in the room before slowly standing up.

"Would it be ok if Will stays here with you while you get checked up. Just so that if Makayla wakes up she isn't too overwhelmed. Maybe I'll walk to the bakery down the street, and get you some good food." Bringing up Makayla and food that wasn't hospital food hopefully got her mind off of what happened, and Ruzek. Kim will read the letter when she's ready. Though I could see that she was still a little hesitant so I turned to Will for some help. Thankfully my brother jumped in.

"Oh yeah Kim. Don't you want to hang out with the way cooler Halstead brother instead of this boring stick in the mud?" I resent that, but it made her smile. Kim then turns toward me, and her smile widens slightly.

"I won't believe him if you get me a blueberry muffin." I'm glad that she had at least some sense of humor.

"You betcha."

"And Jay"

"Yeah?" Was something wrong?

"Thank you for being here, and for being here for Makayla." There's nowhere else I'd like to be. I squeezed her hand that I was still holding, and leaned down slightly toward her.

"Always...now don't let Will bore you too much before we get back."

I would be lying if I said that it wasn't nice to get out of the hospital, but not being able to see that Kim is ok did make me be more anxious. It was now 7 in the morning so the sun was just starting to come up. I was halfway to the bakery when Makayla started to stir. She must've been exhausted.

"Hey Makayla, we're just going to get some breakfast, and then we can go see Mama Kim." Her head perked up immediately, and looked me in the eyes.

"Mama?" Her eyes were a little foggy from just waking up.

"Yeah, princess she was awake a little bit ago, but she's really hungry so we're gonna go get her breakfast. Is that ok?" She nodded slightly before putting her head on my shoulder again. The poor kid was exhausted.

"JayJay? Can I get breakfast too?"

"Of course princess; you can pick out whatever you want. I'm pretty sure they have hot chocolate too." That got her attention, and woke her up a bit, but I still carried her until we ordered our food. They had these travel kid cups that make it so that the heat from their drink doesn't burn the kids' hands so while Makayla went to pick hers out I waited for our food, and mine and Kim's drinks. I figured she'd be allowed to have hot chocolate right?

"You and your daughter are adorable." Huh. I look at Makayla first just to make sure she's safe before I turn to the older lady who was standing next to me waiting for her food as well. Daughter? How was I supposed to answer that? Should I correct her, and have her feel embarrassed, or just let it go?

"Jay! Your order is ready!" I guess that answers it. I just gave the woman a smile before turning back towards Makayla who was walking towards me. Oh...wait she's still in her pajamas. Oh well let her be comfortable. I got and paid for the food and drinks, and before we left I sent another quick smile to the lady just to be polite. After we walked out the door, with me having my hands full with the bag and the cup holder, I had Makayla walk over to the side slightly away from people.

"Alright princess so because my hands are full I need you to hold onto either my jacket or something until we get back to the hospital...alright?" She just nodded and grabbed onto my arm, and we continued the small walk back to the hospital.

"Mama!" The moment Kim came into Makayla's eyesight she took off. It was a good thing that she drank some of her hot chocolate on the way or else that would've probably spilled. I walk into her room to see Kevin standing by the door. He motions towards the door which means he wants to talk. I set down the bag and drink holder, and handed both of the girls their muffins and Kim her hot chocolate before meeting Kevin in the hallway.

"Hey man what's up? Don't worry I got extra muffins if you haven't eaten yet." I could tell by the look he was giving me this wasn't gonna be good.

"Kim read the letter. Maggie filled me in with what she knew before I went in there. Ruz left Jay. He volunteered to go undercover, and gave up his guardianship over Makayla. Told her that it would've never worked anyway." Did he seriously just leave? Wait..."

"What about the adoption? Kim needs a guardian for it to be able to go through."

"Ruzek said that she should ask you or me." Woah...he had actually thought this out. This wasn't something he'd do on impulse. I didn't know how to respond to that so I just nodded, and turned back to look into Kim's room. Makayla was now laying on Kim's bed cuddled up to her side, and showed Kim her special cup while eating her muffin. Kim was going back and forth from staring at Makayla, and staring at us. I sent her a smile before we both went back in. I sat back in the seat that I had sat in before, and grabbed my muffin and drink. For a couple minutes we just sat there in silence until Makayla said that she had to go to the bathroom, and Kevin volunteered to take her since she wouldn't need help. That just left Kim and me in the room by ourselves.

"Adam gave up guardianship." She looked at me, and I could tell that she was hurt by it. I gently squeezed her hand which she returned slightly.

"I know; Kevin told me." Kim nodded slightly.

"When you two were talking I asked Makayla which one of you two she felt safer with. She said JayJay." Oh...wow, I was surprised she didn't say Kevin.

"If you're asking me to be her guardian I would love too."

"Are you sure because..."

"Kim, I'm sure."