Three

I poured two cups of tea before walking into the living room.

"Here." I handed my sister the cup before standing next to the fire place.

"Amber. It's been so long." Erica said before taking a sip of the tea and sitting it on the table beside the couch she was sitting on.

My sister has been dealing with drugs since she was the age of 16. She started with pills and weed but she later began to try the hard stuff like cocaine and her drug of choice, heroin.

I couldn't help but feel sad as I saw my sister sit there with shaking as if she was feening for her next fix. My mother and I tried everything to help her but after three rehab stays and trying to help sometimes you just have to stop. People have to want to change themselves.

"Yea it has. 2 years." I said coldly.

"Oh yea. I know. I was just in the neighborhood and.."

"What do you want Erica? You only tend to come out of the woodworks when you need something." I said interrupting her.

"Can I borrow some money for a room?" she looked down at the floor.

"Why would I do that when you can stay here? We're family." I said getting fairly agitated.

"I...I." she muttered running her hands through her hair.

"I don't have money to give you. With the cost of mom's medical bills, I have nothing to spare. You don't have to jump from shelter to shelter." I said.

"Oh yea. How is mom?" she said nonchalantly basically showing not even a hint of emotion.

At this point I was fuming.

"How is mom? HOW IS MOM? Is that all you have to fucking say? It's been 3 years. She's been in a coma for 3 fucking years. And you haven't seen her since she had the stroke." I was practically yelling at this point as tears filled my eyes.

"Why should I go see her? You were her favorite anyway." Erica snapped back at me.

"Are you kidding me? Our mother is being kept alive by a fucking machine. Her brain has no activity. She can't even breathe for herself." 

She sat there saying nothing.

"You say I'm her favorite. She spent many nights crying because she didn't know when she was gonna get the call that her daughter wasn't coming home this time. She put so much time and money into you trying to get you help just for you to steal from her. You were her rainbow baby. She almost lost her life having you. And what does she get? A child that can't even come see her on her death bed. You broke her heart but she never stopped praying for you." I cried. "So don't ever disrespect her like that." I said scowling at her.

Erica sat there quietly.

"Here." I handed her an envelope.

She looked at me in confusion. It was a check for 25,000 dollars my mom left her. She wanted to be sure she took care of herself. She gasped as she opened it.

"Oh my gosh. Amber I...." 

"It's from Mom. At this point, I don't care where you go. Just please get out." I said my voice cracking.

Erica sighed and began walking towards the door. I heard the door open.

"I'm sorry." the door closed and just like that she was gone.

I fell to my knees bawling. I sat there in silence crying all night. Thinking that at this moment I've lost my mother...and my sister.