chapter 17

Riley's POV

I placed my blade back in the medicine cabinet after wiping away the runny masacara off my face, and emerged from the bathroom with with fresh bandages around my wrist I climbed onto my bunk and picked up my phone which was resting on my un-made bed No new texts or calls. I was not suprised. It was as if my old friends back in California totally forgot about me. Or didnt like me anymore I angrily hurled my phone across the room and watched as it shattered against the opposite wall I climbed down the ladder as angry tears filled my eyes and spilled over, running down my cheeks I sat on the floor and picked up the broken pieces of my phone. Why did it have to break? Why couldnt my dumb friends just give me a call? Why did I have to like that kiss? I sat there as a few more tears slipped out. I angrily wiped them away Crying was stupid. This school was stupid She was you. Pretending. Who cares. Pretending. She was you. Who cares. These words continued to play in my head, over and over, as I layed my head against the wall and leteach tear fall as hard asit wanted I tried to put the pieces of my phone back together, and failed miserably. Why couldnt the stupid pieces just fit together and work properly? I dont know how long I sat on the floor crying like the emotionaly unstable ittle girl I was, but eventually I heard the door openand someonecalled my name."Riley? RILEY?" It was Nate of all people. I didnt even bother looking up He kneeled down on the floor next to me and held my hand"Riley? Whats the matter?" He asked I just shook my head."Are you hurt?" He asked YES I screamed in my head, butI just shook my head again"Please" I whispered "Just leave me alone" Nate being here only made it hurt worse, only made the tears keep coming"Riley, talk to me, whats the matter?" He asked and pulled me closer I continued crying but pushed him away and stood up on shaky legs. "Go away!" I shouted and ran for the dorm door"Riley stop!" Nate called after me but I ran through the halls of the dorm building and burst through the exit"Riley!" Nate continued to call andI continued to run I wasnt sure where I was running to, I just need to get away so I charged for the woods surrounding the campus as the tears continued to escape without my permission As soon as my converse covered feet touched the grass, Nate tackled me and we both fell to the ground He was ontop of me and had my arms pinned above my head. We were both breathing heavily"Riley stop" He said in a stern voice looking into my eyes I slowly stopped crying as my breath caught up to me."Whats wrong with you?"He whispered and I looked away from him"Nate why cant you just leave me alone?" I asked him honestly It was his turn to look away"I dont know. I ask myself that question every night before I fall asleep and every morning whenI wake up. Why can't I stop thinking about you? Why cant I leave you alone?" I had no idea what to say. So I sat there like an idiot in silence"Now tell me whats wrong" Nate said in a soft voice to break the silence And then it came back. She was you. Pretending. Who cares."Who cares!" I shouted and freed my arms"Who cares whats wrong! Who cares!" I continued yelling and tried to push him away, when that didnt work I started hitting his chest as a few tears started to fall again"You dont care Nate! You. Dont. Care!" I continued to scream and hit him"Where would you get such a stupid idiodic idea like that!?" Nate shouted back and grabbed me by the writsts to stop me from hiting him anymore The cuts on my left wrist screamed in protest at his touch but I pretended it didnt hurt."You Nate! You! I heard you say it! I Heardyou say who cares where I am! I hate you!" I screamed at him Of course I didnt hate Nate. I couldn't. But maybe this would help him leave me alone, help me get over him"I cant believe you thought I ment that Riley! Of course I care! I care about you ok? I HAD to say that to please Avery!" He explained, still yelling I rolled my eyes. "Are you pretending i'm Avery right now? Huh Nate? Are you pretending your holding onto your perfect, pretty, blonde, lovey girlfriend?" I asked him harshly"No Riley! Dont be stupid! I wasnt even picturing you as her when we were kissing either! You can be so dumb sometimes!" Nate yelled back. I looked at him angrily "Why should I believe you? Why should I trust you Nate? Why?" I asked in a normal voice, no longer yelling at him Nate leaned in, looking at my lips. What was he doing? My heart started racing, and my breathing picked up again and then Nate's lips were pressed against mine hungrily He continued to kiss me slowly and passionatly. It felt so right, but so wrong at the same time Isn't this what I wanted? Nate broke the kiss way too soon and whispered in my ear "You should believe me, and trust me, because.... I love you Riley."