ɛȶɦɛʀɛǟʟɨȶʏ

Niamh and the trio held their books, with Defense Against the Dark Arts shuffled on top. The other N.E.W.T. Gryffindors and Ravenclaws awaited outside the door, whispering excitedly. A few eyed their surroundings, then giggled.

Harry adjusted his glasses, as if utterly bewildered. Niamh detected a gap in time.

"Guys, what's everybody on about?"

Hermione opened her mouth as the door slammed open.

Everyone dropped their hushes, looking up at the dark professor.

"Inside."

A Hungarian Horntail skeleton suspended from the ceiling, shadows and crevices glowing in its bones from the candlelight. From all her years at this Hogwarts classroom, Niamh had worked under the radiance of the arched windows. All were shaded, blocking even the sound from the outdoors. If it weren't for desks, the stone walls and the new chilly air resembled a deep cavern.

Romantic, she thought.

"Still a bat cavern," someone from the Gryffindor end whispered. "Creepy."

Oh well. To each their own.

"I have not asked you to take out your books." Severus closed the doors, then moved to behind his desk. He turned to the class.

Hermione dropped her book into her bag, quickly kicking it beneath.

"I wish to speak to you, and I want. Your. Fullest. Attention."

Niamh stopped adoring the mini potions sanctuary in the corner. She turned her head slightly.

His black eyes bore into hers as he crossed his arms. "Miss Felicity. You have earned yourself detention with Filch. 5 points from Ravenclaw."

Why is he being so cruel? "But sir, I have choir practice---"

Severus swept towards her desk, infamously leaning in her face like he did to Harry. His teeth enunciated each word. "Fift. Teen. Points."

His cloak flapped at her desk as he swept before the class again. "The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible." He stroked each adjective with a loving caress.

Severus began describing the philosophy of proper defense, when a few students exchanged eye-contact, smirking. Terry Boot of Ravenclaw flicked a note towards the Gryffindors, to which Seamus caught. He quickly read the note, showed it towards the others, then stowed it in his pocket.

Hermione's eyes pleaded him to pay attention, but he laughed into his hand. The other Ravenclaws and Gryffindors pressed their lips together, holding back sound as they looked to Severus's back.

Severus stilled, drawing away from the board. He turned around, clasping his hands. His black eyes swept across the room, hovering about the Gryffindors. "What is the meaning of this?"

Everyone avoided eye contact with him, keeping their bodies as still and expressions as oblivious as possible. That wasn't difficult for Niamh. She had no idea why they laughed behind his back in the first place.

"Potter. Explain."

"Uh, I don't know." He caught Hermione's eye, who shot him a warning look. "Sir."

Severus flicked his wand. "Very well. 10 points from Gryffindor."

Broken mutters and groans filled the classroom. "You can't do that! He didn't do anything wrong," Ron argued.

"Until I hear a confession, I shall discipline as I please."