Worry

A few days have passed and I have ignored everyone. I skipped classes and didn't answer any phone calls or text messages.

It was Friday and I had made an arrangement to take Poppy for the weekend. I was so happy to be able to see her, even if it was only for one night. I normally had her for three nights every other weekend, but they have been much more harsh about my time with her. I think the only reason they are letting me have this night is for the court. It will look better for them if they aren't preventing me from seeing her. Plus they are probably hoping I will slip up and make some mistake. But I won't make a mistake. I am a wonderful mother. Just because I am young does not mean I am incapable of being responsible. 

Driving up their driveway filled me with dread. I had not seen them in a few months. My lawyer told me it would be best to not have direct contact with them, so my mom handled any interactions. However, this weekend she was away for work so I had to pick her up. 

I knocked on the door and Miranda answered.

"Hello Justine" She said in a fake kind voice. "I am just packing up Poppy's things."

"Oh wonderful" I said smiling.

"You can step in if you would like"

"Thank you" I said as I stepped in, closing the door behind me. I looked around. I had not been inside this house in a long time. 

Miranda's maid, Rosa, brought out Poppy. She handed her to me along with her diaper bag. I don't understand why they want custody if they are going to use a maid/ nanny to raise her. Probably just to hurt me and keep me out of her life. They never liked me, claimed I was a 'bad influence' on their son. 

"Thank you Rosa" I said smiling at her. She smiled back before walking back into the house. "Well we must get going"

"Yes of course." she said, "have fun my little Poppy" she looked at Poppy and tickled her slightly, causing her to laugh.

I smiled at this interaction. It was clear that Poppy loved her grandma. I didn't want to take her away from them, but I wanted to be in her life. I wanted to be her number one, not the random lady who gave birth to her. 

These thoughts occupied my mind as Poppy and I drove to my moms house. 

My little girl sat in the back seat playing with her toys. She was babbling to herself. She was 9 months old and couldn't speak yet, but she made noises. I taught her a little bit of sign language to help her communicate. It was one of the things I was most proud of, being able to talk with my daughter without actually talking. 

~~~

We were playing at the park when my phone rang. It showed 'Roni'. I ignored the call and sent it to voice mail. She texted me 'please answer T its an emergency'. She called again and I answered, swinging Poppy on a swing.

"What?" I said cooly

"T I don't know whats up with you, but I think there is something wrong with Malcom. He locked himself in his room and he isn't answering me. I can hear his music blasting, but this is really not like him. I'm really worried."

"Roni, what do you expect me to do? I'm kinda busy right now"

"Please T. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. I don't want what happened to Abby to happen to him" her voice cracked.

"Crap. Okay okay I'm 35 minutes away. I'm on my way"

I hung up the phone and grabbed Poppy and walked towards the car. 

"Sorry baby, we have to go somewhere okay? You're gonna meet some of mommy's friends. Does that sound good my dear?"

She nodded at me so I tickled her and she laughed.

We got in the car and drove away from the park. 

~~~

35 minutes later we were driving up to the house. This was how they were going to find out about my daughter. It seemed odd and I hated that this was how it was happening. I grabbed Poppy and we walked to the door and knocked.

"T oh gosh thank god-" Roni started, "Who is this cutie?" 

"Uh Roni this is Poppy, my daughter"