Chapter 6: Signs

Leo's POV

Last night, April and Casey went home, Donnie walked them there. Maria stayed on the couch here, partially because it was safer, partially because it would make escaping easier.

And as much as she wants to go, it would only lead to her falling straight into Shredder's hands. So we must make sure she wants to stay here.

I was sitting at the table, eating cereal when Splinter woke up.

He walked in silently, nodding to me. I nodded back. We didn't speak, after all, Maria was sleeping on the couch and Donnie said she should get plenty of rest with her head injury.

I went back to eating my cereal. Soon Donnie would be awake, followed by Raph, then Mikey. And then probably Maria, after all, Casey said that most normal teenagers slept in all day. Then Casey and April would show up later, or just Casey if April had work today.

Splinter patted my shoulder as he left with his breakfast. I looked over at him and smiled as he left. Right before he left the kitchen, he placed something on the counter.

A bright red apple.

I stared at it hard for a moment and thought. Things were changing for sure.

"Leo?"

I jumped up and turned around, unsheathing my katana and jabbing it at the sound.

Maria squeaked and ducked, her leg swung out and knocked me over.

"Gah!" I cried out when I hit the floor.

I groaned in annoyance and stood back up. Maria regarded me cautiously.

"Sorry. You just startled me."

"Oh ok." She said and slowly sat down, looking at the table.

We just sat in silence for a few minutes before I realized she probably didn't know where any of the food was.

"You know, have some food here if you'd like some. Make yourself at home." I told her as I finished my breakfast.

"Thanks." She replied quietly.

I smiled and started washing the dishes.

She looked around, before settling on cereal. Same as me. The silence was kind of akward as she ate and I cleaned. So I decided to start a conversation.

"Where did you learn to do that?" I asked.

She looked up, surprised.

"Do what?"

"When you, uh, knocked me over." I replied.

"Oh. Just some martial arts classes. It's a pretty common move, I'm sure plenty of people know them." She said nonchalantly.

Somehow I doubted that. Even if they did, could they execute it that well? I don't think so.

"Morning, Leo." Donnie said, yawning as he came in.

"Morning."

He looked at Maria. "Oh, hey."

She nodded to acknowledge him.

He grabbed a poptart, stuck it in his mouth, and was off to his lab.

"Want me to dry?" She asked.

"Uh, sure. If you don't mind." I told her.

"Well, it's much better than sitting down and awkwardly watching you." Maria smiled and came over.

I handed her the dish cloth and she started wiping a plate while I put the previous one away.