What He Doesn't Know- chp 7

Chapter 7

I looked down at my six year old who stood staring eagerly at us. I took a deep breath and instinctly took a step away from Richard.

"Darling, Monkey, what you just saw does not mean that Richard is going to be you're new daddy." I tried explaining.

"But. . . " Her brows furrowed, "But you were doing things that paople who are in love do. Wait, so it's okay to do that stuff even if you're not in love? Isn't that wrong Mommy. . . ? I mean Grandma said that people like that are whores."

Richard choked. "Your Grandmother actually told you that?" Where as he was surprized I couldn't say I was. No doubt mother had used that word to describe me many times to Kalie and no matter how I tried to get her to stop she wouldn't.

"Yeah she keeps saying that Mommy's a whore but it's not true, mommy's not like that."

Each word she spoke drove another nail through my heart. Kalie had so much confidence in me and for absolutely no reason. Contrary to her belief I was a whore. How I wanted to change that.

"That's right, your mommy's special." Richard said, smiling over at me.

Inside I was dying, why did they think so highly of me? I managed a smile then changed the subject quickly. "So um any suggestions since we're having another dinner?"

"Fried chicken!" Kalie shouted. '

"Shh, not so loud Monkey."

Richard gave us a puzzled look as he flipped on the switch in the kitchen.

"No!" Kalie and I shouted instantly. He flipped it off as he stared at us in utter bemusement. His expression begged for an explanation.

"Don't turn the lights on or the neighbors will know that we're home and bother mommy." Richard looked over at me, still not seeing the reason for the sudden outburst.

"Okay look, whenever they know I'm home they come over, it usually starts out as just checking in because ' I'm a young, single mother / widow and they feel just awful knowing that I'm home alone with Kalie' then it ends with them lecturing me about the choices I've made and that kind of thing."

Richard nodded. "So if you don't want them to know that you're here then let's really leave, that way we don't lie." He suggested.

"Where would we go?"

"Anywhere."

"Ooh can we go to Chucky Cheese?" Kalie asked, neither losing her composure. She had never been there before but she came home one day saying that her classmates were making fun of her because she's never been there.

"Aw I don't think that Richard meant-"

"No it's fine, I take my nieces there all the time, it's no problem."

"Don't spoil her." I muttered.

"Well ine of us has to." He said with a smile. I rolled my eyes playfully then walked past him to get Kalie's coat.

"You have nieces?" I heard Kalie asked. "How old?"

"Um let's see how old were they again?" Richard went into deep thought.

"You've got to be joking." I said reentering the kitchen, "Do you atleast remember their names."

His smile widened. "Ashley's 7 and Kelsi's 5"

"Wow can I play with them sometime? I don't have any friends because no one in my class likes me."

I turned to her instantly, I had no idea that she had no friends. Why hadn't she said anything? Ugh no wonder she hated when I left her, she was literally alone. Ho could I be so stupid as to not see that?!