Chapter 11: Part 2

The sheets of rain thickened, making it incredibly hard to see, the windows were fogging up due to the heat and air conditioning not working properly in the vehicle. The pelting of the giant raindrops, sounded like a hail storm, you would swear they were gonna come right through the roof. The water was starting to build up in the grooved pockets of the back road. Avoiding a hydroplane wasn't an option, the thick rubber off-roading wheels of the bronco were now crashing through these puddles, spraying the sides of the road like a water truck.
"What the fuck is that!" Randall yelled.

An animal ran out in front of him, he swerved and felt a huge bump hitting the animal. The car was going too fast to stop on the slick asphalt road crashing head first into a tree ahead. Both of them knocked unconscious front he crash.

The sound of deadspace, pitch black, no streetlights, the road they were on was a road near nothing, no one would drive down this road until the early hours of the morning if that. No one ever had a reason to drive down this back country road.

Carly was making her way to The Motel Rouge, with the music blasting, the drive should have taken her two hours, but the way she was driving in anger lead her to drive at the speed of 130 kilometres per hour — that would almost cut the time in half of what the gps said, the speed limit on the app told her 60 kilometres per hour max. Any mother in fear of their child's life —especially when its from their own father— would be on a serious mission to put this to an end. She's a back country girl, grew up on a farm and was no rookie to driving in the stormiest weather with high winds, her high beams were on and that four wheel drive engaged and her SUV plowed through any puddle, animal, or dip in the road that got in her way. The radio was on the A.M news station listening for any weather updates or road closures.

Radio: This is a special weather statement, tonight we urge everyone to stay in as the after effects from tropical storm Danny picks the wind, up to 120 kilometres per hour. With a 80 percent chance of severe thunderstorms.

In 60 metres your destination will be on the left, the GPS announced.

When Charlie arrived at The Moulin Rouge, the parking lot was empty, puddles filled the cracks and potholes of the parking lot like a quickly spreading disease. When she got there, she panicked, Randalls Ford Bronco was nowhere in sight. She parked her SUV outside of the lobby and stormed into the building.
"Has a man by the name of Randall Kane and his daughter checked in here in the last hour?"
"Never heard of him mame."
"You've never heard of Randall Kane the author?"
"Now that you mention it, I'd know if he came through those doors, I seen I'm on those banners in the mall."
"Okay thanks, that's all I needed to know."

She got back in her car and called Junebugs cellphone. It took a minute to kick in with the terrible reception she was receiving. It rang about 5 times before it stopped — no answering machine or nothing. So she tried it again, but this time she kept redialling after one ring. Still no answer she decided to text Randall.

Where the fuck are you Randall? This is ridiculous I told you no later than 9pm. The message did not get received.

Charlie called his phone this time in hopes he would finally pick up. The same thing happened that happened with Junebugs phone. No one picked up. She opened the find my phone app and clicked on Junbugs location. They were nowhere near the motel, about 40 minute out on a back road. The app showed the phone in a single place with no movement as if they've stopped. Charlie jumped back in her Vehicle, pressed the gas pedal to the floor, and sped out of there spitting rocks up at lobby window from the shitty asphalt. She knew something wasn't right. They had 2 hours to get to the motel from town a few minutes away.

She drove a gruelling 30 minutes —what felt like another 2 hours— in what was the worst torrential downpour she's ever driven in, in her entire life.

With record breaking winds this sets the bar for the worst storm in the history of Fleet. Be careful if your on roads for debris, clean up crews are heading out early tonight to try and get the roads safe for the morning commute.

The downpour stopped just as she reached what looked like headlights at the side of the road in the distance. As she creeped her car closer, she couldn't believe what she was seeing. She got out of her car to have a better look. There was smoke pouring from a vehicle, the car horn was stuck ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhng, shattered glass all over the ground and hood of the car, a man with his body smashed half out the front windshield. The sound finding my phone app beeping, barely making it over the drowning sound of the horn, and a dog torn in half in the middle on the road guts everywhere, this was a scene no one should have to witness. Not even a paramedic used to seeing death would be able to stomach this mess.

"RANDALL ... JUNEBUG?."

Charlie ran in there to check their pulses and to see if Junebug was still in the car. They were both unconscious, and Junebug had a few pieces of glass stuck in her face, but noting major happened to her, she still had her seatbelt on and her doll held close to her.
She got on the phone with paramedics immediately.

    "I need an ambulance and fire department here immediately, my daughter, my daughter, omg I can't believe this is happening."

    "Mamme , everything's gonna be okay just breathe. Can you answer some questions for me? We have someone on the way right now."

"Yes of course, thank you."
"What happened."
"There was a car crash, my husband and daughter."
"Did you check their pulse?'
'Yes, they both have a stable pulse."
"Okay its important not to move them, paramedics are on their way. If they wake up just do anything you can to keep them calm."
"All stay on the line with you until they get there."

Only a few minutes passed by before the Paramedics and Fire department showed up. They used the jaws of life to open up the vehicle to get both of them out. The paramedics put them on the stretchers and into the ambulance. They were rushed through the empty streets to the Fleet General Hospital.

Charlie gathered any belongings of Junebugs that remained in the vehicle and met the paramedics at the hospital, they were seen immediately but Charlie had to wait in the emerge waiting room sick to her stomach, puking front the sour feeling in her stomach from the anxiety that plowed her nervous system. Expecting the worst but hoping for the best. A few families in the waiting room got news that their significant others didn't make it — as good as dead. Tears ran down her face unknown if she would have to start planning a funeral in the next hour.

"Mrs. Kane, you can come in and see your daughter." Said the nurse.

As she walked into the Junebugs room, Junebugs eyes opened and a smile grew from cheek to cheek.
"Mom, I tried to text you I'm sorry." Junebug Cried.
Charlie ran over to her with tears of joy this time and wrapped her arms around her gently.
"My baby you don;t have to explain, your here, your safe, that's all that matters, oh god I love you so much." She said as she gave her a light squeeze.

Knock,knock,knock
"Mrs. Kane, I'd like to have a word with you out in the hall if you don't mind."
"Is everything okay?"
"If you don't mind,I'd like to speak with you in the hall about it."

Junebug started to cry uncontrollably. And Charlie went to have the talk which she assumed would once again be worse than it actually is.

"Mamme, Mr. Kane is in critical condition, he suffered a brain injury during impact of the crash. He's currently still unconscious, and we aren't sure when he's going to wake up. We will keep him monitored closely and keep you updated as the days go by.

Randall stops daydreaming and comes back to Junebug talking

"Can't you see dad ...you never made it to The Motel Rouge"