Chapter 1: Happy Birthday

The sound of children playing carries to the front yard of the Kane residence, a white and red cottage style house. It was the last warm day of the year. The sun was blazing down on the property and the sprinkler was spraying down the dried browning front lawn. Randall Kane pulled up the house —running late for his daughters birthday party. He was on his way home from the family cabin out in North Bay. His usual getaway to hide and focus on writing novels with no distractions.

He took a sip from his flask and stumbled to the backend of his Ford Bronco to grab the present he wrapped for his daughter. He discreetly made his way to the backyard through the freshly cut grass. The sprinkler was in the perfect spot on the lawn to soak anyone that tried to walk past to the door. If you timed it right, you might just be lucky enough to sneak by. This wasn't Randalls first time, but it was, however, the first time he'd try to get by with a giant present in his hands, luckily the wrapping paper didn't take a beating.

Just as Randall reached the corner of the house, past the sprinkler, his ex-wife Charlie was standing on the balcony not very impressed with him.

    "Late again? I mean it doesn't surprise me."
    "I know I tried to make it on time, I just got caught up in traffic."
    "You know, you're not hurting anyone except for Juniper, there's a little girl back there that looks forward to her father showing up to important events."
    "I know I feel so bad I'm gonna do better"
    "Are you drinking again?"
    "What?"
    "I saw you when you were in the car you took a drink of something."
    "It was iced tea."   
    "Well whatever it was, I just want to see you do better that's all."
    "I'm trying, I love you guys."
    "Yeah, you've said that before, why don't you get back there and surprise her, It'll make her day Randall, just remember that feeling."
    "Yep"

    Randall snuck into the backyard without making a sound and he put Junipers gift on the picnic table in a small gazebo, on top of any other gifts. The gazebo plastered with cream and red streamers, as well as tinsel reflecting the burning hot sun.

    Across the yard was Juniper and all of her friends were having a go, taking turns at the —Raggedy Ann Doll— piñata. Each kid had a balloon tied around their wrist, Red and Cream coloured. It was Junipers turn to put the blindfold on and wing at the thing.
    "Come to little Juniper don't be shy, hit that Raggedy Ann up high" The kids chanted over and over. Randall a chance to walk over to her while she was still blindfolded.

After a couple of good swings knocking a few bits of candy out the piñata, Juniper took her blindfold off, barely able to see from the readjustment of her eyes.

    "Junebug!" Yelled Randall excitedly with his arms wide open for a hug.

Juniper turned around and ran into his arms over the moon with excitement.
"Daddy!" She yelled. "I missed you, I thought you weren't gonna come."

"You know I always try to make it. I might be late but at least I'm here. I love you. You know I wouldn't miss your birthday June-bug, that's the one thing that I haven't missed."

    "I love you too daddy."

"You can open your present I got you if you want."

"YEAH!"

    Randall and Juniper walked over to the gazebo and Randall handed her the gift he bought."
"It's not much, I hope you like it."

Juniper, ripped opened the pale pink wrapping paper around her gift, exposing a jacket made up of her two favourite colours — cream and red. Underneath it was a teddy bear, on its chest it said, Daddy loves you."
Juniper smiled cheek to cheek and she hugged the teddy bear tightly.
    "Thank you daddy I love it," said Juniper.
    "Okay now go play with friends, I'll be here a while," Said Randall.
    "It's okay I wanna stay with you."
    "It's your birthday, go have fun, don't worry about me I'll be here."
    "Okay, I guess."

    Juniper ran back over to her friends playing pop the balloon. Each child had a balloon with an amount of money in it, except for the birthday girl. Whatever came out of the balloon after you poped it, you got to keep. All the kids began to run after each other to pop each other balloon. One kid got a hundred dollars, Another just got two. It was all random, but at least everyone got to leave with a gift that way no one felt left out.

    Charlie walked up behind Randall as he happily gazed at the children playing. They were so happy, the smallest things can amuse a child. He was wondering what that felt like as he lost that part of him a long time ago.

"Did you tell her yet?" Said Charlie.
    "Not yet, she's having a good time."
    "I just wanna warn you, she's not gonna take this very well."
    Randall puts his head down in disappointment. "I know."

    It was getting late the sun was setting, and the and children were starting to leave. Juniper was left by herself in the backyard near all the balloons, Randall walked up to her with his Polaroid and took a picture of her.

    "Smile," Said Randall.
    "CHEESE." Juniper smiled until the last second then she stuck out her tongue and put her hands in her ears like a moose.

    Randall shakes the photo a few times to help the developing process, and when it revealed the photo it was everything Randall wanted. He wanted to capture her in her element. The Juniper he wanted to remember -happy, silly, and loving. Unfortunately, she only looks like this for a few moments when he's around.

    "You look so beautiful, have a look," He shows Juniper.

    She smiles and gives her dad the brainwashing loving eyes, "Can you take me to the midway tomorrow?" She asked.

"Ahh, I can't baby girl I'm sorry. The publishers booked me on another tour to promote my last book. If I don't go, I'll lose them as representation."

    "That's okay how about the day after?" Juniper replies as she begins to look a bit distraught.

"Unfortunately, I'm gonna be gone for 2 months, I'm travelling across the country to all of the major book stores."

Juniper began to get angrier the change in her face said it all. A blank stare looking right through Randall.

"Take Me with you," She said.

"Baby girl I can't and besides your mother wouldn't let you."

"Take me with you," She said a little bit louder.

"Baby girl I can't, sorry."

With a Wilhelm-scream Juniper screeched, "TAKE ME WITH YOU!"

    The balloon tied around Junipers wrist popped and red paint spewed from the balloon all over Junipers face and clothing, as tears began to run down her face.

    "You'd better leave," Charlie says as she watched from the back door of the house.
Juniper walked into the house.   
    "Go get cleaned up," Charlie said to Juniper.
    "What the hell was that?" said Randall.
    "You would know if you've been around, we're trying to figure out what it is. I'll tell you when we find out."
    "Alright."
    "Look, I don't know where you're staying tonight, but you can't stay here anymore until you get clean, It's just not good for her or myself."

    Randall puts his head down in thought. "I can never do anything right can I? Every time I feel like I am redeeming myself, boom, another curveball hit me. Back in the coffin."

    "You need to go get help before you come back here." Said Charlie as she walks away and into the back door of the house.

***************AUTHORS NOTE*******************

After much feedback, I decided to add something to the beginning of the story which ended up being a whole chapter.

If you enjoyed this chapter please consider voting on it :)