Epilogue

5 Years Later

Tae-Seong

It had been a long journey to get here, but one that I had to do. I was bone tired by the time this breakthrough came through. I only knew her name, and there was an entire world out there to search for her. Even with my father's police ties, it was 5 long years before I found her. She was laid to rest in a local churchyard in her hometown.

I entered the wrought iron ornate gates and ascended the small incline towards Amara's grave sight; it lay under a beautiful cherry blossom tree, and I couldn't help but feel that this was fitting for her. The sun shone through the open slits in the branches, illuminating her headstone like a beacon. Cherry blossoms had fallen over the neatly manicured lawn to give the illusion she had a baby pink blanket draped in front of her headstone.

She seemed like the type of person to stop and admire the wonders of life. I smiled. I would've liked to have got to know her more, hear her laugh, her voice, one more time. A sad smile crept onto my lips. I clutched the bouquet I held in my hands tightly. The simple grey stone in front of me read-

Amara Belle Jones

Forever in our hearts,

A feeling of guilt washed over me. I should have been able to save her, but she sacrificed herself to save Shanti and I. I was forever grateful but the guilt had ripped through me for all these years. I thought coming here might have given me closure, but I was wrong. Despair crept into me. She lost everything, and I didn't. When I woke up, my father had been by my side. His dark-circled eyes told me he hadn't moved since I was placed in the coma.

It had transpired that I had been shot; I was found by a man riding his bike and rushed to the hospital. I was in a coma for 3 weeks before I woke up. It hadn't even felt like I was in Midgard for 3 days, but I guess time moves differently there. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket; I pulled it out and hit answer.

A 15-year-old Shanti popped up on my screen. She had found me on social media a year back. I couldn't believe how much she'd grown from the 10-year-old little girl I met all that time ago. She'd made me promise that as soon as I'd found Amara, I was to call her.

I guess she just couldn't wait.

I chuckled, despite my melancholic surroundings. We were both so desperate to find out where Amara was and I suppose still is. I preyed she wasn't in the Acheron. A shudder ripped through me at the short time I spent in the water. I would not have liked to be trapped there.

"Hey Tae!" she said. I nodded in response, a small smile on my face.

"Did you find her?" I heard her sharp in take of breath.

"I did." I positioned the phone so she could see Amara's last resting place. A sob echoed from my phone. I pulled it back to look at Shanti once more.

"It's so beautiful, she would've liked the cherry blossom tree I think."

"I think you're right." I said, placing the bouquet on the trimmed grass in front of her gravestone.

However, as soon as they hit the ground, the heavens opened and rain poured down in torrents, cascading over everything in sight. I was instantly soaked, as it was the type of rain that seeps into your bones. Which was strange because it had been sunny a moment ago? The stereotypical summer's day. I was dripping wet by the time it had stopped. Just great.

This is going to be a long walk back to the train station.

"Where on Earth did that come from?" She laughed when she saw me drenched from head to foot. I scowled in response. We idly chatted some more, interjecting every so often about what Amara would've thought. It was then I noticed a large puddle that had formed next to the flowers.

I went to look closer the water; it appeared to consist of a myriad of different colours, like a rainbow whirlpool. It was stunning to behold, and I found I couldn't take my eyes from it, it was so mesmerising. What strange colours? Shanti was still talking, but I zoned out as I drew nearer to the puddle next to Amara.

"Tae, can you here me? Tae?"

I continued on, positioning my phone so she could see what I could.

"Do you see this?" I asked.

"Yeah... Oh my god!" she shrieked from the phone.

"What!?" I looked into the puddle of water. There, staring back at us, was the haunted pale face of Amara. I recoiled back in horror. Her eyes were completely white. They held a glassy gaze with a thousand-yard stare. Her flawless skin an awful shade of grey, her hair swirled around her as if she were floating. The realisation hit me like a sledgehammer. I finally tore my eyes away to look back into my phone. Shanti stared back with an ashen look on her face. She held her hand to her mouth in shock, unable to speak.

"Shanti, I think she's trapped. We have to go back."

The End