Chapter 5

Connor

I watched the young woman standing at the window from the swing with curious eyes. The light from the window illuminated my face, my features furrowed in deep thought. What made her so special? My lips curled into a sneer. I wanted to go home, but the Mágissa wouldn't help me unless I found her. She had done nothing but ignore me since I got back.

What the hell was going on?

My hands balled into tight fists. I thumped the swing and stood up. Pacing back and forth, I tried to calm the anger within me. Despite my feelings, I couldn't hate her. It wasn't her fault. She seemed just as lost as I did. Where were those guys going to take her? So many questions, too many. I turned to look at the old crone in the window.

I don't trust you.

Shanti danced about in the clearing in front of the house, gloriously oblivious to the fact that she was in a strange world with people she didn't know. I admired her adaptability but feared for her as she had such a trusting, naïve nature. She had gone with me without questioning who I was or where we were going. I had learnt the hard way that there are people here that aren't as friendly as the Mágissa, but I had a strong sense she wasn't doing this out of the goodness of her heart either.

Although she was the only person who had helped me so far, I still couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right with her. I shook my head at the thought. Got to stop being so negative. I could read too much into this but I have to be realistic. It went against my nature to be so distrustful of people usually I tried to see the best in everybody but it was hard not to paint a negative picture of this whole place.

What have you got planned, old woman?

I took my thoughts back to the time I arrived here. I couldn't be sure how long I'd been here for the days and nights rolled into one as there was an endless stream of dark which made time stop dead in its tracks.

Waves of water sloshed onto my feet as I lay on the banks of a river. I was lying on my side, my arm had gone numb underneath my weight. Carefully opening my eyes, an intense pain shot through my stomach. I wrapped my arms around myself and curled into a protective ball. I waited until it had subsided into a niggle, then I pulled myself up into a sitting position. I let my hands rest over my knees.

Where on Earth was I? I tried hard to think back to the last thing that I remembered, but nothing would come. I got flashes of someone crying. A feeling of despair washed over me, but that was all. I was more confused than ever. How did I get here? This wasn't like any place I had been to before.

Moving my head left to right, I tried to take in my surroundings. I was on the banks of a large river. Its waters twinkled a beautiful cerulean blue. It was mesmerising to watch. I could feel myself becoming hypnotised with the ebb and flow of the water. I let its beauty take me into its grasp as I watched the waves gently lap against the bank.

The water was unusually calm. Nothing moved. I took notice of the surrounding area. Where were the sounds of the birds calling, or the rustling of the trees? Nothing. The silence settled heavily on me, bringing a cold shiver down my spine.

Whilst I was thinking, I hadn't noticed the movement in front of me. The river swirled, and a column of water shot out in the middle. I took notice when water sloshed over me. I stared wide eyed as the water took shape of a young woman. She held no features and when she spoke; it felt like it was in my head. I tried to move, but my limbs froze in place. The shock of the sight had me rooted to the spot.

"Come to me, boy," it echoed in my head.

"Let the river calm your nerves." The voice was haunting. I felt a serene calmness flow through me as I considered her offer.

"Who are you?" I said, without realising I had stood up.

"I am Styx, I am here to help you." Her voice was serene. Was she sent to help me? I put one foot in front of the other and walked closer towards the edge. I heard a shrill laugh as I came closer. The watery hand reached out towards me.

"That's right, come closer, my child." Her tone was gleeful. I could not stop myself from reaching for her. My hands inches from her outstretched one.

"Let him go, Styx," came an unknown voice. I shook my head, coming out of the trance, and dropped my hand before she could grab it.

The hand dropped, and the figure shot a look behind me, the anger at the interruption clear. I let out the breath I hadn't realised I was holding; I shook my head and jumped back in horror. She was ready to pull me under the water. I turned around to find an old woman using an old wizened stick as a crutch. Another laugh came.

"What are you to do, Mágissa?" she taunted.

The old crone stood her ground, staring at Styx intently. I stood stock still, unsure what to do. I felt like something trapped me between two powerful forces that I wouldn't stand a chance against. A creeping black mist began to envelope Styx. She spun around, screaming in pain. I stole a glance at the Mágissa to find her holding out her stick, chanting in a language I didn't understand. Styx gave out an almighty hiss and disappeared below the depths of the river. I jumped further back from the bank and nearer to the Mágissa.

"I will not forget this, Mágissa." the voice spat before completely disappearing.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded my head vigorously, not trusting myself to speak.

"Good, come with me. I need you to do something for me before I can help you."

Not knowing what else to do, still shaking, I followed her in a daze.

My mind jolted back to the present. After that day, she had wanted nothing more than to find Amara. She hadn't even told me why I was here and I couldn't remember anything of how I got here. I put my contemplations to one side. Outside the safety of the Mágissa's little cocoon, the city was distant, grey and as lifeless as a mortuary slab. Even the luminous colours that streamed from the windows and street lamps were muted and harsh.

The whole place felt unforgiving, like at any moment it could turn on you and swallow you whole. Here, however, all I felt was a serene calmness and comfort, the kind you would only get from a Mother. I knew I would have to leave sometime; it filled my heart with a dread that made my body go cold. Despite the distrust I felt for the old woman, it still felt safe here. The fuss over this Amara better be worth it.

The clearing below the porch, Shanti was still prancing about like a ballerina. Her pink fluffy slippers bobbed up and down each time she jumped into the air. I couldn't help but smile from where I was standing, propped up against the railing. Shanti stopped and waved, smiling back.

I wished she could stay this innocent forever.