Chapter 1

The voices of my friends flowed around me, the voices of strangers mingerling with them. People talking about what shops to go to next, what they had brought, what other people had

bought and what other people are wearing.

'Gracie.....' a whiny voice broke through my little calm bubble,'Ellie says we have to go to Jack Wills, but I want to go to Hollister as it is nicer. Where do you want to go?' I sighed. It was Fae, the child of my friend group. The group consisted of Ellie who was the bossy one, Fae the childish one, Sammy the clown, Lauren the quiet one and me, the leader.

'Guys, we're on holiday in Ireland, and you want to go to Jack Wills and Hollister?!.'They glared at me.'Fine! Lets go to Jack Wills and then Hollister, okay?' Before anyone could answer Ellie was walking. 'Lets go Fae, come on.' I said,shoving her gently. We ambled in the direction on the massive Jack Wills, them all chatting away, Ellie and Fae best of friends again. Just then, a sound reached me through the babble of noises. It was harsh male voices, followed by what sounded like a thump. My eyebrows furrowed as I glanced around, trying to see where it had come from. There was a alley nearby, not one of those dark ones, but a light winding long narrow one. I heard the sound again, the thump, and this time it was accompined by jeering. I made my mind up in that split second. Glancing across the road, I scurried across ignoring the calls of my friends. At the opening of the alley I hesitated, but hearing the harsh laughs I carried on. About 2 meters into the alley then was a turn and it was past this that the sound were coming from. I peeped around it. In front of me was a group of boys. Two were holding another while a boy who seemed to be the leader punched him repetdly in the stomach. A harsh voice broke from the mouth of the leader and I drew back a little.

'Sooo...shall we go back to you ikle bruvver ,Greg? Would you like to watch?' He leant down and picked another boy up by his collar. The boy had been lying on the floor, and he looked like her was unconsious. When the leader picked him up I saw that his face was a mass of cuts and bruises and his nose was bleeding. The other boy, Greg, was thrasing around in the hands of the two lakeys,and he was calling a name that I could not hear. I drew behing the corner and thought. I could just leave them. or I could help. Guess which one I chose. I strolled around the corner, and shoved past the boys. The leader glared at me and then leant it and basically snarled into my face.

'Well, well well, what have we 'ere?' He drawled. I decided to wing it, and to turn on my charm.

'Boys, boys. Lets calm down shall we. You see, Greg is my...cousin, and he has to show me around Mullingar. So I would really like it if you didn't beat him up.' I held my breath and hoped that my bluff would work. The boy narrowed his eyes at me, and I could literally fell his mates closing in around me.

'Fine. We done anyway. Apart from this.' His leg shot out and kicked the other boy in the stomach and then he dropped him to the floor. They also dropped the boy called Greg, and then skulked away. I let out the breath I had been holding, and then jumped as a voice came from behind me.

'Tanks miss.' I span and the boy croaked out that sentance. He was about 19 or 20, had the classic blue eyes of the irish and had light brown hair.

'Are you okay? Do you want a drink?' I dug my bottle of Sprite out of my bag and threw it the him. While he was drinking I turned my attention the the younger boy. He looked about my age, around 15. His blonde hair was matted with blood, and his nose was bleeding badly. I gently pulled him up and leant him against the wall. Fishing in my bag again, I pulled out some tissues, and started to softly dab at his cut lip. I heard people running down the alley and turned around in time to see my 4 friends rush up.

'Grace! What happned?! Who are they?' Sammy gasped.

'Ellie and Sammy help Greg, Lauren help me and Fae...well, just stay out of the way honey.' The girls jumped to it, rummaging in their bags for various things like wet wipes and water. Lauren came softly to my side and knelt to help.

'Grace, what happned?' She asked me softly. I looked at her. 'I have no idea.' I admitted. Just then the boy stirred under my hand, and his eyes fluttered open.

'Hi. I'm Grace. How are you feeling?'I tried to not alarm him, but it didn't seem to have worked. His eyes had fear in them and he whipped his head around.

'Greg..Greg...GREG?' He tried to get up but the other boy appeared behind my shoulder and he calmed down. I got up and Greg knelt down in my place.

The older spoke softly and gently,'How you feeling?' The younger stared blankly. 'Niall?'

_______________________________________________________-

Did you like? If so VOTE! Please:)

Please Thanks

Katie:)Xxx