𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖊𝖓

"How long?" Kai asks as we sit on the opposite end of the beach and wait for River's text. I pet Casper as Kai and I sit comfortably, although I know his ribs are hurting.

"Not much longer. Did the meds help with the pain?" I ask as I lift up the side of his shirt to look at the bruises. He shrugs as I sigh.

"It'll heal." He says as I shake my head and he smiles cheekily, holding my hand as we just watch the water. "It's nice out. The sky is pretty."

I look up and nod at the pink sky, fluffy white clouds in the distance.

"How did the talk with Cliff go?" I ask nervously as he frowns and looks down as if he's ashamed.

"I chickened out. He got in my face again and yelled at me. I felt stupid for crying a tiny bit and he made it even worse by calling me his names again." He says looking down.

"I'm sorry, did anything else happen?" I ask. He shakes his head as I nod and watch the water, seeing some fish jump up to grab what I'm assuming is some bugs. We sit quietly for a while until Kai taps my hand.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?" He asks as he squeezes his eyes shut and looks down. I smile lightly, surprised by the question but flattered.

I lift his head up gently, being cautious of the stitches under his chin, and wait until he opens his eyes and looks at me.

"I'd love to go on a date with you. Where are you thinking?" I ask as he looks shocked.

"You said yes? I didn't think you'd say yes." He says as he smiles, trying to hide his excitement. "Maybe we could go camping? Unless you don't like camping." He quickly adds at the end.

"I love camping. It sounds fun." I say as he nods and pets Casper. I've noticed he likes to pet him when he's anxious, it seems to calm him down.

"I'm sorry for being weird, I had a bad day." He says after a while. I frown and shake my head as I rub his hand.

"I know. You don't have to apologize for rough days." I say as he nods and continues to pet the puppy. My phone lights up and I show Kai, him smiling and picking up the puppy.

We walk up the beach, smiling as we see River holding Brooke's hands as he talks, smiling when he sees us. We wait quietly behind them as he tells her to cover her eyes.

He comes over and takes the puppy smiling to us both before we start heading up the hill, watching as Brooke opens her eyes and gasps. He pulls out the ring as she holds the puppy and I can hear her sob a yes as the ring is slid onto her finger.

"She's happy." Kai says as he smiles and watches his sister and best friend. We see River point to us and Brooke smiles as she waves, shocked when she sees her brother.

"I love you guys!" She shouts as she hugs Casper.

"Love you too!" I shout back as we wave and leave them to enjoy their evening. As we get in Kai's car I notice him frowning slightly.

"What's wrong?" I ask as he drives. He sighs and looks out the window.

"I miss Casper a bit. He's soft." He says as he drives along the water, eventually pulling onto our street. He whole time I just rub his arm comfortingly since he doesn't feel like talking much.

"How'd it go?" Jonah yawns as him and Tavia are curled up on the couch watching Disney movies. I walk over and kiss her sleeping head as he waits for an answer.

"She said yes. Remember, you can only know if you stay quiet. They'll tell everyone on their own time." I say as he nods.

"Is Kai ok?" He whispers to me, looking over my shoulder at Kai as he sits on the steps staring at the floor.

"He's ok. He had a rough day and misses Casper." I say as he nods and looks down to Tavia.

"I can take her to bed after this is over. She always wakes up if I try to turn the movies off." He says as I laugh and nod.

"She's a troublemaker. Did you guys finish the left over chicken fingers in the fridge?" I ask.

"Ya, I also gave her ice cream for dessert, she told me she was allowed." He says as I laugh and nod.

"Thanks kiddo, you're a life saver." I say as I hug him and walk over to Kai, offering to help him upstairs. He nods and puts his arm around my shoulder as we slowly head up, laying on my bed and grabbing the remote.

"I enjoy your company." He says after a while. I look over and nod as he tries to move closer and rests his shoulder against mine.

"I enjoy your company too. It helps rough days huh?" I ask. He nods. "Ya, I get it. What else helps with rough days?" I ask.

"Mom used to read to me but I'm not a baby." He says as he thinks. I chuckle as he thinks to himself. "I don't know. Nothing helps much." He gives up.

"Tavia enjoys cuddles when she's had a hard day. Do you want to try that?" I ask.

"Ok." He says quietly as he shuffles down and lays awkwardly like he's not sure what to do. I hold open my arms, not wanting to lay on him and hurt him with how much he's sewn together.

He comes closer and is tense as expected as he rests his head on my shoulder. I know he likes his hair being touched, at least by me, so I play with his hair until he seems to relax into me.

"You're warm." He mumbles as I smirk and look down. "Like a life size teddy bear with a heater inside it." He compares as he wraps his arm around my waist. "This is ok right?"

"Yep, it feels comfortable." I say as I play with his hair until he starts to fall asleep. I think he's almost asleep when he looks up and looks me in the eyes.

"I like you. You make me feel happy." He says as he pulls me closer, scooting up so I can rest on his chest. I like this confident Kai, it's nice to see.

"You make me happy too." I say as I rest my hand on his shoulder. He just watches me, studying my face as he does before resting his forehead against mine.

"I would very much like to kiss you. May I kiss you Roxi?" He asks as he holds me securely but gently.

"Of course. I even dare you to do it." I smile as he bites his lip and takes a deep breath to calm his nerves. He snakes his hand up to my hair and leans forwards, gently and hesitantly placing his lips on mine.

His anxiety fades as he gets a little more comfortable and passionate, holding my back with his free hand and balling his sweater I borrowed into a fist.

When he pulls back he touches his own lips lightly with a little smile. "I hope that was ok. I've never actually done that before, that I remember." He says nervously.

"You haven't?" I ask, I don't know why but I expected him to have had at least one girlfriend who he's kissed. He shakes his head. "Well I'm happy I was your first."

"It wasn't bad?" He asks. I shake my head. "That's good. I didn't want to suck at it." He says as I chuckle and hold his hand.

"I enjoyed it very much. Your lips are soft." I say as he lays down and pulls me to lay on his chest again.

I close my eyes as we get comfortable and both start to fall asleep