Chapter 1: Two Phone Calls

The cafeteria was noisy. Teenagers shouted to each other across tables, friends waved to each other across the room, each trying to catch the other's attention. 

    I glanced across the room, my ears catching vague words in the cacophony but not distinguishing any of my friends' voices. I made my way to their usual table, carefully maneuvering myself and my tray around the bustling crowd. 

   "HEY! DASHIE! OVER HERE!!!" I smirked to myself. Found it.

    "What's up, guys?" I asked while sliding over next to Fluttershy. "Anything awesome?"

    "Well..." Twilight adjusted her glasses. "We have band practice after school, the Wondercolts are going to play against the Shadowbolts next week in the soccer games and I have chemistry club after class. (A/N: Is that even a thing? I don't know, I've been homeschooled for most of my life.) So if you do count that as awesome, then I guess that the answer is yes."

    "Sheesh, Twi," I answered, rolling her eyes. "Information overload! But thanks for reminding me about the Shadowbolt game. Not that I'd ever forget it anyway." I smirked.

    Apple Jack rolled her eyes and was about to answer (Probably some kind of retort) when my phone rang from its perch on the table, playing my favorite rock song as the ringtone. I took one look at the name and snatched it away before anyone could read it. Everyone stared at me, and I was pretty sure that my face was as red as it felt. Crap. Please, why now?

    "Uh, Dear?" Rarity asked, peering at me carefully. Crap again. "Is there something you'd like to share with us?"

    "Ummm..." I swallowed hard. If my friends ever found out... Especially Rarity and Apple Jack!... I'd never hear the end of it. Keep it cool, Rainbow, keep it cool. "I, uh, just have to take this call. It's kinda important." My fingers fidgeted with the vibrating phone behind my back. 

    I could feel my best friends peering at me in confusion and curiosity as I stood up and stood next to the table, taking the call and holding it to my left ear while plugging my right to block out the cacophony. "Soarin?" I hissed through my teeth. I could have sworn that I could hear his laughter from the other end. "You are so dead."

    "Chillax, Dashie." I hated how my face flamed up again at the sound of his teasing voice. "I was just playing a prank. You should have seen how you reacted."

    "How can you see me?" I hissed through the phone again. I could see Pinkie edging closer to me out of the corner of my eye. Fluttershy gave me a gentle smile and a thumbs up, earning odd looks from the others. She was the only one who knew. "You're on the other side of the cafeteria!"

    "I'm standing on a table and waving to you, see?" My head whipped around and I saw Soarin, waving over-enthusiastically while his friends laughed around him. I wonder what my friends must have thought of me as I ended the call, marched back into my seat and plopped my head down on the table in rapid sucession. I was pretty sure the loud guffaws I could hear were his.

    Still, I smiled to myself. 

(Scene Break Thing)

    It was after band practice that my phone rang again.

    I glanced around, taking a moment to put my guitar back in its casing before checking the caller ID. Huh. I wonder why my mom was calling me. Uneasiness settled in the pit of my stomach as I took the call and held it up to my ear. "Mom?"

    "Dashie?" Her voice was full of tears. Oh, no. I took a deep breath and glanced around. Everyone was looking concernedly at me. I could feel their silent support. That was good, I was pretty sure that I'd need it. "Something happened earlier today."

    My heart must have been beating like Pinkie's drum set as I swallowed hard and waited for her to continue. The next few words turned my whole world upside down and crushed my heart inside of my chest. "Your father was in an accident."

    I didn't even hear the phone drop from my hands.

(A/N: This is literally my VERY FIRST FANFICTION guys. Any feedback is welcome, and if I'll continue if more people want to see this. Thanks for reading!)