Chapter 8: My Heritage

I called in sick to work, but I wasn't sick. I was overwhelmed; filled with joy. I am a fairy princess. The only thoughts that were running in my head. There is only one person who could give me the information I needed, Devin. 

    "Hello?" He asked, as he answered his phone with a slurred voice. Clearly hung over from the night before. 

    I laughed at him. "Hi, Devin, feeling okay?"

    "Yeah, I'm fine. Why are you calling so early?" He groaned into the phone.

    "It's one o'clock in the afternoon," I replied. Noticing the silence on the other line of the phone, I continued. "Anyways, I found out some stuff."

    "Like what?" His voice perked up a bit.

   "Is it true, are we-- you know, fairies?" I asked, I know it was stupid. I just felt the need to have more reassurance from him. I toyed with my pendant that was strung around my neck, and every time I touched it, it tingled.

    "Who told you?" His voice was suddenly normal, no evidence of last nights drinking. 

    Shit, I couldn't tell him about Beau. Quick, think of an excuse, fast! I thought to myself as I rubbed my forehead. "Google?" I put the word out there, and mentally slapped myself.

   Thankfully, he bought it. "Yes, Lilath, we are. Shit, do you know what will happen? Now that you know about this?" He asked.

    "No," I replied truthfully. 

    "It was my fault, giving you that damn pendant. I should of waited. Lilath, Faylinn needs you. Now that you know, people will be coming here. To find you-- to find us.

   I thought back to the party, how people looked at me. Layla, Justin, and basically all of Devin's other friends. "Devin. Meet me at the park on Rue Chiqué, now." I told him through the phone. When I heard his response, I grabbed my keys and ran out the hotel. 

    Suddenly, I ran into someone. "Bonjour, mademoiselle. May I help you?" Francis asked. 

    I hugged him tightly, "I'm sorry for running into you Francis. I just have to go out for a bit," I paused and looked into his eyes. Pain filled them. "If you need someone to talk to later, don't hesitate to call my room. We can hang out sometime." I have him an apologetic smile.

    He nodded and smiled softly. "Where is Beau?" When he asked that it wasn't hard to guess why he was upset. His lost soul mate, Celeste. I knew that if I lost Beau, like he lost her, I would be heart broken.

    "I don't know, but him and I are going out tonight." I beamed at him, knowing he would like that. He nodded, and waved goodbye. 

                                                                                 * * *

    As I was driving down Rue Chiqué, I felt my senses heighten. I noticed the bright greens of the trees, the loud honks from annoyed drivers, and the smell of my rental Audi's leather seats. Fresh, I thought to myself. Everything around here is so fresh. The light patter of rain on my windshield had me remembering my child hood.

    I was a child, five years old to be exact. One of the many things I loved in the world was rain. Much to my mothers disapproval I spent my childhood days outside in the rain. I would splash around in it, and dig my feet in the mud. Or the "Devil's Brew" is what she used to call it. 

    "Lilath Fae, if you track mud into the house one more time. You will not be able to go out on the roof star gazing anymore." She pointed her finger at me sternly.