Chapter 7

⚔ The Right Way ⚔

Flipping the sign on the door to closed, Corin finally breathed a sigh of relief. Today had been hectic, with their village festival coming up it seemed everyone had been in to stock up on groceries.

Turning around, Corin's eyes found Kallm's as he bagged the last customer's things and wished them a nice evening. He grinned at her and she could tell that even he was relieved to finally finish that day.

Kallm had been an investment to her aunty. In between his classes and travelling, he seemed to spend most of his time at the store. Corin didn't mind though, she enjoyed his company. Whilst she had it anyway. There was always the issue of Kallm finding out what she had done, but she chose not to worry about it now. It was inevitable.

Kallm folded up his apron and came to stand behind Corin, a little too close than was deemed appropriate, but he just couldn't help himself. He was drawn to her.

Corin felt him slide up right behind her and instead of tensing as she thought she would, she found that she relaxed knowing he was around her. She never had this experience with anyone else. She didn't know what he was doing to get this reaction from her, but she knew she wasn't complaining.

Corin closed her eyes and took a deep breath, taking in his scent. Wrapping her arms around herself, she felt him put his own hands on her forearms, his skin making hers burn where he touched it.

She turned around, not opening her eyes and felt his roam over her face. She felt her scarf fall off her head, and as she went to fix it, Kallm's hand reached out to stop her. She opened her eyes then, searching his. Taking a step closer, she lifted her cast wrist and grazed his cheek. Corin noticed Kallm lean into her touch and she saw the good in his eyes. You took this away from Kayana. Corin stalled immediately and when Kallm's eyes flew open, she knew he sensed it too.

Stepping back, Corin quickly pulled her scarf over her head and moved away, rubbing her arms where Kallm had touched her.

What was she doing? She had no right to have what she had so cruelly taken away from her best friend. What she had taken away from her brother, no less.

Kallm let out a pent up breath, running his hand through his hair. Grinning rakishly, he had to admit, he didn't think Corin would let him hold her, let alone have her touch him. She was slowly warming up to him and he couldn't be happier.

Kallm didn't know what had stopped Corin at the end, having her completely freeze up on him and then walk away like nothing, but he knew he was slowly demolishing her walls and he was happy with it.

Untying his apron from around himself, Kallm folded it and called out for Lirat, affectionately also referring to her as aunty.

"Yes beta?"

Lirat rolled out from the storeroom and Kallm shook his head as he took the box from her lap.

"It's time for me to go to my classes aunty ji. Do you need anything else?"

Lirat watched him work around her and gave a silent thanks for sending him to them, though probably not in the most gentlest of ways.

"No beta. Thank you for your help today."

Kallm smiled and leaned down to kiss Lirat on the cheek. As he bent over he saw Corin watching them from the corner of her eye and he winked at her before he straightened up. He loved watching the red colour travel across her cheeks as her eyes widened. His cheeky display had gotten the response he wanted.

Waving again, Kallm picked up his side bag sitting by the counter and walked out.

Ever since he began helping out at the store, he had changed his classes to the nights, well after they had closed for the day.

Rineo met him outside of the bakery, holding his favourite cheese bread. Taking it, Kallm nodded his thanks as they began walking to the university. Rineo began talking about how he had begun compiling his photoboard and all Kallm could do was smile.

Truth be told, he had completely forgotten about their assignment.

"What about you, man? Have you made much of a start?"

Taking a large bite, Kallm glanced sheepishly at Rineo who got the hint and let out a chuckle. Landing a large hand on Kallm's back, Rineo shook his head.

"Alright, well, I was planning on going up to the mountains to get some sunrise shots. Want to come?"

Kallm stuck up a thumb to show his acceptance, his mouth full with the only amount of food he had eaten that whole day. Turns out, when you're living alone you actually have to go and buy your own food.

Chewing thoughtfully, Kallm began looking around him. He was sent to this magnificent place to study photography, and thanks to his father, he had found another that he loved. Kallm couldn't be happier.

Finally getting to the gates of the University, Kallm took a deep breath in of the afternoon air. The mountains surrounding them made sure the days didn't get too hot, but also assured that the afternoons would be chilly.

He was right. He couldn't be happier.

⚔ The Right Way ⚔