(epilogue)

The journey down to the lowlands typically wasn't as taxing as this one was, this time there was a relentless heaviness in my heart that I couldn't lift or make go away. I am a soldier and slave of my own darkest thoughts and desires; I do not feel pain, I use it as a weapon. I have collected the bounty for the kingdom's most wanted thief. The same person who was lying next to me last night, warm but now frigid with spiritless eyes beneath the bag wrapped around their head. I carried out an order and I am going to finish it to claim my reward. They were a fool who unfortunately did not know how killers work. We will do whatever we can to get what we want, no matter the sacrifice once we have a motive and objective. 

Carl's hooves thud and over the planks of wood of the bridge. We managed to get to the kingdom as the sun began to set over the mountaintops in the distance behind us, illuminating all of the houses, shops and everything reachable in golden light. The cold bitter air from the mountains has long gone, the warm climate and pleasant sunsets of the southern kingdom was something neither me or Carl we're used to. We made our way through the settling down city, only to be stopped at the castle's main gate. "Halt! Who comes before the grand gate of Mormount!" One of the two guards shouts while they in sync raise their swords and shields. 

"I mean no ill-will, I am just a foreigner who has come to collect the bounty. Your pesky thief has accompanied me on my ride here, I am here to drop them off." I raise my hands to show I was not going to reach for my sword on my hip. They look at each before nodding and opening the gate for us.

————————

I stood out for sure, people were wearing expensive linens and silks while my dark figure drained the joy of the colorful scene I stood in with heavy winter garments, anyone could tell I did not belong there which made the pairs of eyes more intrigued. Carefully I approach the throne, making it only up a few steps before spear points angled down at me. Slowly I kneel and set the body down before the king on his throne, the room quiets before he speaks to me. "Who are you?"

I stay on my knee and keep my head bowed as I speak up to answer him. "My name is Technoblade. You do not know me, I am not from here, but I have caught and snuffed out the life of the thief of your precious jewels. I expect to be paid fully."

The king scoffs and shows offense to my lack of manners with other hushed voices whispering and murmuring about me. I never was a man of royalty so mannerisms never were my second nature. I am not here to create friendships, I am here only for my emeralds. With his "feathers clearly ruffled," he clears his throat and orders me to stand before the lords and ladies of the court. 

Confused, I do as he asks and stand up tall to maintain good posture. "Do you have any whereabouts of the jewels that were stolen perhaps? They mean a lot to me and my family." The king states with curiosity. I nod and take the necklace from around the neck of the stranger I thought I once knew. The room fills with gasps of awe and thrill as I hold the delicate shimmering necklace up in my closed fist.

"A miracle indeed! How can we return the favor? Surely the thin payment you'll receive is not enough to satisfy your taste after such a remarkable deed- perhaps you wish to become a knight or a part of the watch, leave living as a foreign brute behind?" The king proclaims happily leaning forward on his throne, chuckling with so much delight his belly shakes. I scoff under my breath, respecting the room's enthusiasm. 

"Your... majesty, I am nothing more but a keeper of my land. I do not wish to become a knight nor a man of the watch at all. I respectfully will claim my reward which was posted on the waiver and I will take my leave back to where I came from." I speak loudly, my voice echoing in the grand throne room murmurs buzz in the background all around me like bees in a hive.

"A humble and respectable hero! Praise him for his bravery and honor!" The king shouted while the crowd repeated 'bravery and honor' back. Guards come guiding a small white pony pulling a cart full with the most shiniest emeralds I have ever seen in my life, truly the most gorgeous thing the world had offered me so far. Ranboo had a son he spoke of, maybe the pony after it carried the cart of wealth home with me could be a gift to him.

The crowd began cheering and chanting my name after the king's final words, Everyone was rejoicing and had joy in their eyes. I wasn't cheering nor chanting along. 

I did not feel anything.