- a stranger at the door.

You

The guards are on my ankles, the loud clanging of armor and thundering footsteps on the cobblestone street are closing in. They have been chasing me for a while at this point and I am starting to run out of steam. I weave my way through the crowded streets and alleyways with ease, bumping into some innocent townspeople occasionally. When I am not paying attention, I knock over a cart of fresh produce, I frantically look back at the shop keeper and the street, hesitating at first on whether to help pick up the food that was spilled all over the road. "Don't touch any of my fruits, you have done enough damage! Scram!" The old man roared as he waved me off with his staff menacingly. I did not have time before one of the guards spotted me before directing the pack after me again, leading them in their pursuit. I curse under my breath before yelling a brief apology to the old man before taking off again.

The adrenaline had been in full effect by now and my heart was not letting up. Not even for a second. I was terrified, exhausted, paranoid and beginning to feel lightheaded. It was getting hard to breathe and the world almost started to spin. I was running out of places to hide, the whole city had been thoroughly searched before. Even if I got away and scurried off like a rat, they would end up finding me eventually. If I was not mercilessly tortured for treason there was no doubt I would be hanged for what I have done.

Yesterday I stole the kingdom's jewels at the dusk ceremony. Every new moon the kingdom has a celebration to gods that I do not particularly believe in, but I still attend them anyway for entertainment. The atmosphere was light and joyful as the sun sat over the ocean, enough so the waves sparkled under the soft evening light. An orchestra was playing in the background as the crowds began to gather, people flooded in wearing their most expensive clothes and silk dresses, gossiping about nonsense and other unimportant things.

I had always wanted to be a royal growing up, I was jealous of the princesses, princes and other members of the noble family. They wore such extravagant clothing and their jewels. I had always wanted a crown of my own, to be able to stand tall and proud before a crowd of people who looked up to me, cheering and worshipping me. Those very jewels I had taken had been passed down for generations, I couldn't even begin to imagine how much they are worth and what they could get me if I managed to sell them.

So, after the speeches were made and the food was served, people's guard was down after alcohol had been in just about everyone's system. I wore a cloak shielding my face and stalked my way through the clusters of people, like a predator stalking it's prey in tall grass. The luxuries were placed in a giant golden bowl in the center of the patio, soaking up the evening light. It was believed that the more moonlight the jewels had, the grander they would be in the light. Before anyone could notice me, I run up and grab the diamond necklace that was swimming in other types of gems. A shriek from the crowd causes the lovely music and chatter to abruptly stop as I freeze. "Thief! The crown's jewels! Thief!" Wails of distressed guests echo each other and angry voices join soon afterwards. I only had a few seconds to run for the exit of the venue before guards from all directions came for me.

————————

The only place to go was north, I had to reach the other side of the mountains that were engulfed in winter yearlong with the most extreme temperatures in all of the kingdoms combined, where no one came back after they reached the point of snow being as high up to your knees. I am willing to take such a risk to get away and live a crimefree life. No more stealing food and clothing to survive. How I was going to do this on my own? I am not sure but I believe in myself enough to know I could make it work, I'm a fast thinker and was pretty resourceful. When the castle is nearly out of sight, I collapse onto the soft tundra grass, there were a few miles of non-snowy areas before it became too brutal. I enjoyed the scenery for a little while, this was the closest I have come to being captured by the crown. I open my drawstring pouch and there was the necklace, glimmering with all of it's radiance. It was all mine, I still couldn't believe it. No one back at home believed I could ever come close to getting such luxuries in my life, they were wrong. Here I was, a self-made castaway royal who had stolen their way into power.

Technoblade

Everything is covered in blood. The corpse that is dangling off the back of my horse is slowing us down. Thankfully Carl had armor on or else his lovely coat would be stained with blood. It has been before and it was too much of a hassle to get that shit out. Never again. Earlier today a lone stranger trespassed onto our land, so I removed them my way. The bruises and small cuts left by them were due the little altercation we had. The story they told changed every other sentence, which was incredibly suspicious. I wasn't going to allow someone untrustworthy go past the checkpoint, especially after they lunged at me and attempted to split my skull open with a axe.

I have an inclination to be a classy man, but in a moment where I had only seconds to think and act, I resorted to my animalistic mannerisms. I stabbed the man maybe 50 times before he stopped fighting back, just to be sure I delivered a clean cut across his throat to ensure he wouldn't stumble his way to my hideout. Looking back at it, he was a tank of a man. He was maybe double my size and he survived multiple stabbings before he collapsed in the snow. I stood there, breathing heavily as a nearly deranged murderer as I watched blood drain from his lacerations. It made me feel calm in a way, watching life drain from the eyes of someone. It is so peaceful, yet labeled as really morbid.

I ride up to a mountain range, about half way up the summit I dismount Carl due to the unsafe terrain and the steep incline. I throw the body over my shoulder and once at the top I toss it over the edge. Never to be seen again, feeding the earth another corpse to absorb and create life from. Satisfied, I turn heel and make the ride back home in my vast arctic wonderland.

————————

After securing Carl in the barn with the other animals, I step inside my toasty cottage to assess today's spoils. I take off my bloodstained armor and hang it up on its designated rack. It was my favorite outfit to wear outside of the house, it made me look like a mighty king or knight with the white and blue colors accompanied by a vivid red cape, golden accessories bringing the finishing touches. After warming myself and the rest of the house with a fire in the fireplace, there was a knock at the door by the time I got settled down with a book full of greek mythology tales. "Come in," I respond to the knock, suspecting it was either Ranboo or Phil. It more than likely was Phil because he was up here more often, sometimes Ranboo was making acquaintances at the city in the south or somewhere unknown. It wasn't my concern, he's a grown man after all.

Phil had invited himself in and we greeted one another. He gave me a run down of what things got done today while I was out patrolling. It was getting late and the sun had gone down so we decided what we were gonna cook and sat down and ate until we were both full. It was nice having friends living so close by up in such an isolated place, it gave me reassurance and the company. We both were chatting after cleaning up the dishes and then there is an urgent banging on the front door. 

Both us go silent as we creep closer to the door as the banging continues. A visitor? We barely have people come up here, let alone make it this far north. The last not counting today's incident was a hapless band of traders that lost their way in a blizzard. Looted their bodies of resources and was on my merry way, Phil and Ranboo were opposed to it and reminded me of my ill doings for days upon days after that. It is kill or be killed up here, useful luxuries can be hard to come by. I leaned closer to get a better look of who or what was outside. The hunched figure standing out in the winter night did not resemble a trader or a citizen belonging to one of the tyrannous kingdoms that are established down south. Quietly but urgently, I ask Phil to hand me my sword which he does promptly, knowing I meant business when wielding a weapon in my hand. In a single swift motion the door flies open as cold air hits my face with the blade of pure netherite stationed inches from the stranger's face.

"Who are you." I state in a loud and commanding voice, my figure blocking the entrance in case they try something. They say nothing.

"Please don't kill me... I am lost," Their voice was quiet and raspy. They sounded defenseless enough so I could lower my sword. "My name is Y/N, I am a [daughter/son] of one of the lords in Mormount. I promise I mean no harm, I am positive that I wasn't followed." They say unveiling their hood so we could see their face.

Phil must have been looking over my shoulder this whole time because he gasps as both of our eyes fix themselves on the exquisite diamond necklace sparkling around their neck. "Skies..."