Chapter Four

Chapter Four

“You would not believe who is outside the back door right now.” Clairborne said excitedly as she made her way back to Penelope from across the room. In her arms she carried two bolts of different fabric.

Penelope did not look up from the complicated embroidery she was performing on a dress meant for the Lord of Geringklein's wife. “Is it Petre?” She asked with a small smile.

“You ruin all my fun.” Claire complained as she set down the fabrics. Claire's voice turned dreamy and she sighed as she plopped down into her chair. “You are right, it is your betrothed waiting for you on the doorstep of this shop.” Penelope felt her stomach flip happily at the mention of betrothed.

Finishing the last stitch of the design, Penelope looked up at her friend and laughed. “You will soon find a lovely man of your own, Claire. All of your daydreams cannot go to waste.” She teased lightly.

Claire laughed before looking quite seriously at Penny. “Here, I shall finish the rest of your work for you. You go meet with your lover.”

Not needing to be told twice, Penelope gathered up her things and walked quickly to the back door of the shop. She thanked her friend profusely before opening the door and walking straight into a warm chest.

“Penelope!” Petre exclaimed happily, wrapping his arms around his love. He picked her up by the waist and spun her around before placing a feathery kiss on her soft lips. “You have come early. I thought you were working until sundown today?”

Penelope blushed as she smiled at her betrothed. “I admit I did, but Claire made it so I could leave early. I shall have to find a way to repay her.” Petre nodded in agreement before grabbed her hand to hold as they left the shopping district in town.

“So, I spoke to my uncle today.” Petre started as their hands swung back and forth between them. Petre's uncle was a rather rich man who owned a number of estates throughout the kingdom of Krajina.

“What happened?” Penelope prodded with interest.

Petre squeezed her hand. “He agreed to let us live in his country home just outside of Geringklein.”

“Petre, that is marvelous!” Penelope cried, throwing her arms around her beloved. There it was; the final step to becoming a grown woman.

Petre nodded with a grin as he held his woman. “He also said we are welcome to hold our banquet feast in his town mansion and buy you a dress.”

Penelope could feel the tears forming in her eyes, joyous at the gracious behavior of her soon-to-be uncle-in-law. “I fear I will never stop thanking him for his kind deeds.”

Petre chuckled with a nod. “I was thinking the same thing, my love.” He pulled away from their embrace to hold her hand once again and walk with her to the Blythe household. “How did your sisters take the news?”

Penelope laughed at the memory. “They interrogated me about every little detail over breakfast. I will admit it was a relief to get away from them this morning.”

“I could believe that.” Petre laughed. “So, they are not angered with me for stealing you away?”

“Oh no. In truth, I think they shall be rather relieved to be released from the protection of their big sister.”

“I am positive that is not how they think of you. I believe they shall miss you terribly once I have stolen you.” Petre winked wickedly at her as he spoke the last words.

Penelope only rolled her eyes with a shake of her head. “You are just as horrible as the twins. Do not teach them your bad habits. I fear they shall already be wicked enough without your influence.”

Petre opened his mouth to respond, but the words died on his tongue at he stared at the peculiar sight laid before him. There, in front of the Blythe house, was a ornate black carriage equipped with an elegant footman and stagecoach along with armored men.

“What is happening?” Penelope asked after followed Petre's gaze. Her face paled visibly, but she pulled her love along behind her as she entered her home. “Mama! Papa!”

Instead of replies from her doting parents, she heard a voice that was like ice. A cool, commanding tone that was gifted with a sharp toungue.

“I see our woman in question has finally arrived.” A man spoke. “And she brought her own guest as well. How lovely.”