Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The next morning was interesting, to say the least. Penelope feared that she must have fallen asleep in the carriage because the next thing she knew, she was in a elaborately decorated bedroom. The bed was more soft than any other bed she had known and the pillows must have been stuffed with goose feathers. The blankets were cozy and warm, almost making Penelope feel as if she could sleep forever.

She knew that was impossible, however.

With a flick of her wrist, she grabbed the blankets and threw them off of her before climbing out of the colossal bed. To her deep embarrassment, she found she was wearing a nightgown. She hoped it had been a maid or someone else because she cringed at the thought of the prince dressing her.

Penelope looked around the room, still in awe of the expense that must have been paid for the furnishing of it. It was large enough to house her entire house inside of it and more along with that. On either side of the large canopy bed were nightstands made of dark wood and lamps set on both. Neither were lit at the moment for the window emitted enough sun to light up the entire room.

Across from the bed were two doors that in front of lay an arrangement of couches and arm chairs with a small table center of them. A bowl of fresh fruit was placed on it. Penelope made her way over to it and plucked a grape from the bowl, hesitantly putting it to her lips. Never before had she tasted a fruit as sweet and succulent as that grape.

There was a sudden knock on the large oak door on the other side of the room and Penelope had barely enough time to jump back into the bed and hide under the covers before someone entered the room.

“Is she still asleep? I was positive she would have awakened by now.” That was the prince's voice, Penelope realized as she tried to calm her racing heart.

Another voice she did not recognize spoke next. “Perhaps she is trying to hide from you by sleeping the day away.”

The other man laughed before there was the distinct sound of skin colliding with skin. Out of curiosity, Penelope sat up in her bed to see what was the matter. The prince, dressed predictably in black, was wrestling with another man that seemed to be his size and age. The two stopped immediately when they saw Penelope was awake and attentive.

“Milady! I apologize. Did this vagrant manage to awaken you from your slumber?” The prince asked, straightening to his feet.

The man in question clambered to his feet as well. A mop of light brown hair covered his head. “Likely story. His Majesty seems to forget he was the one to enter your chambers in the first place.” His own blue eyes found Penelope and he grinned. “Pleasure to meet you, beautiful Penelope. My name is Acharious.”

The prince smacked him upside the head. “You are going to scare her with your so-called charm, you imbecile.”

Penelope was neither amused nor flattered. “How may I be of service to you this day, Your Majesty?” She asked coldly.

Both Cynric and Acharious looked at her with sobered expressions. No longer were either of them smiling. “Milady, you are no slave here.” The prince was the first to speak.

“I am not marrying you, if that is what you had in mind.”

Those green eyes seemed to darken and the prince noticeably bristled at her reply. “We had an agreement, Penelope Blythe-”

“An agreement with the only stipulation being if I came with you. If I am to observe correctly, I am here now, am I not?”

Acharious looked amused. “I have finally found a maiden who does not throw herself at your feet.”

“Hold your tongue.” Cynric hissed in his direction.

“Excuse me, sires, but it is unseemly for both of you to be in my chambers as I am in an inappropriate state of dress.” Penelope interrupted.

The prince's eyes darkened evermore as he glanced Penelope's way and he smirked. “I do not mind, milady. Also, in case you forgot, the agreement was to marry me.”

Acharious caught the blood rushing to the woman's face and the way her eyes narrowed noticeably. “Do not fear, fair maiden. I shall rid you of him.” He promised her as he began pushing Cynric out of the room.

Penelope could hear Cynric's protests, but he was no match for his friend. Soon they were both out of the room and the door was closed. With a sigh, Penelope climbed out of the bed and went straight for the two doors that lay on the other side of her room.

She opened one to find it led to a latrine with a mirror. She closed the door and went to the other. Inside this lay an immense closet with dresses and shoes of every color. Penelope ran her hand along the length of her face. If the prince thought he could win her over with material items, he was dead wrong.

For at least the next hour or so, Penelope searched deeply through the closet to find the simplest outfit there. Finally, out of some miracle, she managed to pick out a simple dark blue dress. From her years as a seamstress, Penelope knew that not even all her dresses from home put together would accumulate enough money to purchase a fabric so fine as this one.

As soon as Penelope walked out of her closet, the large oak doors opened again. Thankfully, it was not the prince but a maid. “I have brought you your breakfast, princess.” She spoke shyly as she set down the tray of food on the table.

“Thank you. May I ask of your name?” Penelope asked as she made her way over to sit on the couch in front of the food.

The maid smiled tentatively. “My name is Ava, princess.”

“Please, my name is Penelope, not 'princess'.”

Ava scrunched her tanned face in confusion. “Are you not betrothed to His Highness?”

Penelope made a face at the raven haired servant. “I am not nor shall I ever be.”

Ava's dark brows raised high above her dark brown eyes. “The entire castle is under the impression that you will be marrying our prince.”

“Well, they are under the wrong impression.” Penelope told her stubbornly.

“Try telling that to the prince, milady.” Ava said with a shake of her head before leaving Penelope to her own thoughts.

The prince was delusional. If he thought, that after stealing her away from the life she knew, that she would suddenly agree to marry him, he was wrong. She was going to prolong the inevitable for as long as she could.