FEARSOME ✓ 02

"After three long years, you have one final form I'd like you to master before your inspection with Upper Moon One." Natsuyo-sama said, handing [Name] the Nichiren sword that he took from a low-level slayer two years back without informing his pupil of its origin. The poor slayer never stood a chance.

"I have taught you every Moon breath-form I know. It may not be all 16 forms that Kokushibou has developed, but for you to conquer the 10, and soon to be 11 forms that we do know, I believe that in time the remaining 5 moves will come to you on their own, and once they do you will move onto Breath of Sun." Natsuyo grinned as he observed the masterpiece of his creation. Your progression through every stage with the utmost perfection was beyond what he believed the small child he once bottle-fed was capable of. Time and time again you proved to be the most valuable thing he could have ever stumbled upon.

Now, all that was left for [Name] to kill Kokushibou during her examination. It was Kokushibou's and that man's plan in the first place to raise her into a fine slayer and then convert her into a demon, but Natsuyo enacted a plan as well the day he discovered the girl's talents.

107 years ago Kokushibou killed Natsuyo's lover and devoured her in front of him. Even after his transformation, that rage he felt towards Upper Moon One never left and neither did those memories, and Natsuyo knew he personally was unable to do anything about it. That's where [Name] came in.

You were the revengeful demon's shining star, the slayer he raised to be on par with a demon of a higher caliber than himself. Natsuyo did his best to raise you as a disposable weapon, however, no matter how hard he tried to see you as just a replaceable pond, he knew your ability to master the Breath of Moon was something that could not be replaced. You mastered the fundamentals of demon-slaying and the majority of a Breath style which took the highest ranking demon under that man decades to develop in just a few years, an impressive feat that not even the most gifted slayers could conquer. 

Another thing the demon would never admit is that he grew quite fond of the young girl. There was some sort of attachment that had slowly been made to you as he guided you, but he pushed away that compassion. The demon had never had a daughter, but if his vengeance and guilt hadn't blinded him so much, then maybe he would have considered you his first.

"You still think I can kill Upper Moon One?" [Name] doubtfully asked. Without being blinded by the intent of vengeance, she was clearly able to see the vast distance between her and Kokushibou's skills. She had met the man only once, and unlike the Natsuyo, his scent was inescapable. When he walked into the home it overwhelmed her two years ago, but when Kokushibou left his scent did not linger as long as a normal persons or demons. The man barely made any sound, she couldn't even detect the demon walking up the mountain.

"You do understand if something goes wrong and he notices that I'm aiming for his neck, he'll figure out everything." [Name] said, trying to convince Natsuyo of the plan's certain failure, but he was resilient.

"It will all work out. Now, end this senseless talk and perfect that final form." Her sensei demanded, and without any further prying, she complied. 

She did it all for him.

It, in fact, did not all work out. The moment Kokushibou arrived at our home just after sunset I knew something was wrong. Not only was he here, but the demons that I assumed were Upper Moons Two and Three stepped in behind him. Murderous intent radiated off of the highest-ranking demon among them.