Zhongli's Weakness

Being a god of your nation had to be considered a pleasant position but Zhongli retired himself from that hefty role. He chose to descend from his throne, took his bearings, and gazed at the skies of Liyue as how mortals would do. 

It'd seem that after six thousand years of strife, bloodshed, mutual connections, and an overflow of nostalgic rivers were what appropriated for him to settle down. Oh, and his gnosis was taken away too so his dominance might never glisten as bright as a thousand years ago. 

Morax, now referred to as Zhongli by his peers and acquaintances would make his rounds every night to listen to the exaggerated storyteller's narrations of real-life occurrences in Liyue. He desired to correct some errors but the man's passion to chronicle event after event from his mouth made Zhongli praise the storyteller's quick thinking. There was no reason to go further to diminish the man's state of euphoria at making people believe his recitals. 

Much like his restlessness in the sanctity of contracts, Zhongli did not require sleep like everyone else but would gladly replicate it for the sake of immersion and experience. It was incredulous for an archon to even think of such things in the war of the archons, a time where irascible souls burnished the flames of battle and fuel fetid torment that reached the border ends of the sea.

Zhongli never slept in his years of slaughter but that would change with time, as it does to every individual.  

"Out of the blue, you want me, the 77th director of this funeral parlor to remunerate your short excursion?" Hu Tao couldn't believe her consultant liked taking breaks. "You don't take me as a sort to enjoy vacations when duty calls."

Under the watch of the adepti in the darkness of the skies, Zhongli chuckled at his boss's tone of disbelief. There were many reasons why he'd exerted effort the past week to gain this opportunity. Of course, he could've left anytime by force but what would humans think of such transgressions?

"Don't get me wrong, I can work just fine without supervision but are you unhappy with the current management of our operations? If there's something bothering you, it's wise to spit it out before you regret anything."

Six thousand years was enough time to rectify those pouches of sorrow.

"As you said, it's a short trip. I will return when my mind is above water again," Zhongli chuckled at his boss's huff and puffing. Old Morax would never have done so. There would've been blood on the walls if that were the case. "I acknowledge my place as your consultant, the tides are just changing for me and it's of utmost importance I witness these things immaculately."

"There you go again with your mysteries and phantasms. Are you intoxicated? I don't feel like reimbursing you with the establishment's resources right now," Hu Tao's eyes narrowed.

"Hm. It seems one's resistance is mighty when confronted with choices. During this short outing, what constitutes a returning gift for you?"

"You sound too old for your age. Don't you mean a souvenir? Where are you going anyway Zhongli?!" If only she knew.

"Ah haha, yes, I mean souvenirs. I didn't know today's generation of children were so concerned with the matter of language."

Hu Tao stepped closer to Zhongli, adjusting the flaps of his waistcoat. "Little children who deserve to enjoy their youth would probably dismiss the idea but you're talking to the successor of a funeral parlor. One's words are essential when concerned for the hereafter and beyond."

"Yes, beg my pardon."

Hu Tao began speaking again. "So, how long will this hike take? Can I expect you to return in three days' time?"